Loggy bayou tree stand

InkedLilPiggy

Hey guys and girls. I have never hunted from a tree stand but today I was given an older loggy bayou climber. The stand is solid, with no rust and all parts included and also in good shape. The stand has the climbing aid. My question is how exactly is the climbing aid used? There is a strap that looks like it could be used to sit in and them just lift knees up or it could be used to go behind my back to keep me from falling as I climb. Anyone have instructions or advice? And for those out there that will say I shouldn't be trying to figure the stand out at this point in the year, I will not be using the stand until I am comfortable using it.

• Like 1

Looks like a solid tree stand.  This came with a safety strap and probably a safety strap line.  I would throw them away!  Get a new safety harness that fits you good and is easy to put on and get a new safety strap to tie around the tree above the climber, that is your safety line.  Make sure you have a really good safety line attached from the bottom to the top climber. (Loosing the bottom climber can be a real pain!) 

I would shy away from using it with certain trees on wet days as you can slide down.  Good luck with your new stand! 

• Like 1

Does this one have the rubber cable with a loop on the end and slides up in the tube and a pin goes through the loop to hold it in place ? If so stay away from really smooth bark trees, I have one like that and is slipped when I was about 6 feet off the ground.It does not seem to bite into smooth park trees to well. Get a walnut tree and its great.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Still wondering about the climbing aid...is the strap on the aid to sit on while climbing? The stand itself has a flat metal strap that wraps around the trunk of the tree.

Yes you have the hand climber with the available sit and climb add on. I have one also but dont like or use it. Just grab the top part with your hands and arms and up you go. Much quicker than using the sit and climb attachment. For me anyways. You can get the bow hanger that bolts right to the bottom of the stand and that keeps your bow at the ready at all times.

Post a picture of the climbing aid. Do you have a safety harness?

I will try to post a picture later this evening. I do have a safety harness that was given to me, it is one that came with a different tree stand. I have been looking online for a better one but as of now I haven't decided on one. Any recommendations?

I had a similar Loggy Bayou climber many years ago.  Mine had a fleece seat, but the rest was the same.  Main thing with it was it would slide or shift on smooth bark trees, or if there was any ice on the tree where the strap hit the trunk (backside)  Be careful when climbing that you keep your feet (and your weight) towards the middle of the platform, and don't scoot them towards the trunk.  The closer to the trunk you get, the less torque you put on the stand, and the less it grips.  It has pads on the base to hold the tree (no damage to the bark) but it doesn't hold on its own like a toothed blade would. 

I once, while climbing. slid ~ 5 feet down a trunk, as I had moved my weight to my toes very close to the tree, not in the middle of the platform.Going from 20' to 15' in a heartbeat wasn't much fun.  Another buddy with the same stand had it slip around the trunk when his weight was shifted to one side of the stand to shoot at a deer.  Glad he had a safety belt on.

That's a good stand, with a couple things to watch for when using it.  I switched to an API (old style grandstand, not the Chinese crap they make now)   after the slip and have never looked back.  Wear your harness, even when climbing, esp with that style stand

Yes you have the hand climber with the available sit and climb add on. I have one also but dont like or use it. Just grab the top part with your hands and arms and up you go. Much quicker than using the sit and climb attachment. For me anyways. You can get the bow hanger that bolts right to the bottom of the stand and that keeps your bow at the ready at all times.

yup....I've had mine for at least 20 years and never used the sitting option to climb....nice stand once it's setup.