Are ticks a concern for this weekend?

goosifer

Damn... Pulled a fat tick off my dogs head last night. I must have missed one and apparently the tick meds are not doing their job. Second one I pulled off her. I am using the walmart knock off to frontline. I will be switching next treatment to a once every 3-4 month pill. Vet highly recommended it, so hopefully itll work.

Has any one ever thought of puting flea and tick collers on your cloths. 

For the price, I will stick with treating with Permethrin, known to work. Flea and tick collars are sometimes a cocktail of nasty pesticides out of China that I would not only not want on myself, but I don't even want them on my pets. Some are okay and some are quite questionable. At least with Permethrin I know exactly what it does and the risks.

Have follow up dr appt Monday will keep you posted

Corfu Darien vet says they've seen more ticks this yr than the past 10 combined.

Btw- I lost my lab to lymphoma a few years back. He was on advantix but the ticks only die after filling up. The tension on their bodies pushes fluid back in even though they're dead. Gave up some great duck hunting in st Lawrence county because there are so many up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is permithin

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's a product (spray ) made by Sawyer's  that you spray on your hunting clothes prior to going into the woods. It'll last up to 2 weeks after applied. If you have ticks in your area you want this. Tractor Supply, Dicks, Cabela's etc all carry it.

• Like 1

Permethrin itself is a common insecticidal synthetic chemical. Saywer's is just one of the major brand names that sells it for outdoors persons. I personally use a quart of the agricultural/veterinary stuff by Martin brand (10% Permethrin), dilute it with distilled water to what Saywer's is (0.5%), and soak my outer hunting clothes in it. It's much less expensive, just a bit more work. I still haven't run out of the first quart I purchased, and I had to use some to treat my chicken coop too.

Be careful for those with pets, Permethrin can be fatal to cats.

Me and Dom went out to Wassiac MUA this weekend and cut through some heavy brush. My clothes are permethrin treated and I didn't have one critter. I swear by the stuff. I used a whole bottle (4 times the recommended dose) on my hunting clothes. If one is good four is better.