Just worked up some 9mm

chas0218

So I just bought a Smith and Wesson sd9ve 9mm and decided to buy a set of dies to start some experimenting. I bought some Hornady 147gr. JHP and paired it with 4 gr. of Unique powder. Wow those things have a little more recoil than the 115gr. I do have to say it grouped both rounds very nice out to 60'. It may be a slow bullet but I'm betting it has some knock down to her.

That was my thought making up the 147gr. hollow points. I am hoping to have a little more knock down power. I will say I practiced some drawing and shooting drills and I have a little work to do.

If you guys get a chance try doing some walking drills like shooting while walking towards the target. It is very difficult and helps hone those skills. There is a lot to think/do while working one of those drills.

Edited by chas0218

I've saved all my brass but notice a lot of 9mm brass gets beat up at the ends making it pretty much junk to deal with.  I make sure feed ramp is clean and other stuff but it just seems to happen a lot with my one 9mm.  no function issues or anything so whatever.

I've saved all my brass but notice a lot of 9mm brass gets beat up at the ends making it pretty much junk to deal with.  I make sure feed ramp is clean and other stuff but it just seems to happen a lot with my one 9mm.  no function issues or anything so whatever.

I have seen some pretty nasty kinks and bends come out with the dies. I inspect all my brass once it is resized and tumbled. A buddy of mine has a .40 S&W that does the same thing.

Unique has been around for many years, at least 50 or 60...

It is used in shotgun and handgun loads, and also for small capacity centerfire rifle cases like .22 hornet or 25-20 and also for reduced and cast bullet loads for larger centerfires.

• 4 weeks later...

Unique has been around for many years, at least 50 or 60...

It is used in shotgun and handgun loads, and also for small capacity centerfire rifle cases like .22 hornet or 25-20 and also for reduced and cast bullet loads for larger centerfires.

It has been fairly clean burning powder. I really like it so far along with my 9mm loads.