Turnips

When did you plant them ? When are you going to plant them next year ?

I will be putting out my first plot next year deep in the timber, some throw and grow Oats n clover. With an area of turnips also. Excited to see how it turns out with no exuipment, just rakes and garden cultivator. Thanks for info

The deer were eating the greens on min when they were freshly germinated, and they were chowing down on the bulbs by the beginning of gun season. I planted them the last week of August and some are twice the size of softballs now.

That is good to know, i am going to try to put some out there in June to try to have a decent amount out there during archery season. See If it works out, if not I can put some out in August also.

How far do you recommend planting them for such large growth as you spoke of ?

I have a decent amount of sun light in the area I am going to make the plot, atleast 50% of sunlight a day.

Edited by Ricky 86

Soil test and amend accordingly.I broadcast just before a heavy rain always. Now if the area deer are not use to turnips...they may not hit them well the first year...until late winter...to help avoid this lightly over seed with WW or WR. Planted too early they can try to set seed becoming tough...remember they need a frost to sweeten up,so deer want them over other foods.

My turnips are not even being touched The tops got eaten a bit but not hammered, along with my standing soybeans, the deer are basically walking through them to get to other food plots.. kind of wierd, im hoping its just the warm weather meaning more food available all around.. 

planted 2 acres worth of radishes 2 years ago. they never touched them, tops nor tubers. 2 ft tall tops, 14" radishes.. i have done turnips and brassicas for years and never had a problem with their consumption.

Maybe the neighbors have some "better" food haha