Hunting Coyotes in Southern Zones

jpolihro

Hey Guys, new to this forum and looking to hook up with people to hunt coyotes with. I just started yote hunting this year and looking to learn the ropes. I live on long island but looking to head upstate (not too far north) to hunt some yotes for the day. Any help would be much appreciated. I had cranberry mountain and great swamp in mind but hunting alone isn't as much fun as hunting with buddies. Let me know if anyone is interested, I can only do weekends though.

Thanks

John

Yes, that's in putnam also, it's west of cranberry. I've never been but the NY DEC site says there's a lot of wildlife in there.

Here's the link to give you more info http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68929.html

Seems to be a lot of wetland but looks like there some good hunting ground as well. I've never been there so I don't know how crowded it gets. I guess the only way to find out is to head out there and check it out.

During the 2009 archery season I hunted the Great Swamp MUA on weekdays. There was tons of deer sign in the wetlands just beyond the fields. I never saw or heard any 'yote sign. After six all day sits I only saw five deer! No deer=no 'yotes. The place had tons of people and dogs chasing released birds. Was like a skeet range with shooting, yelling, whistles, dogs,more shooting,stomping through the brush and woods edges,crow hunters with the loudspeaker recordings,some more shooting,then silence! They all leave only to be replaced in an hour or two with the next bunch to repeat with more of the same! It drove me nuts! Finally threw in the towel and took my stands out near the end of the season. It's a nice piece of property with mixed fields and tree lines. With the bird season over you might see something. I know that the deer spend the day deep in the swamp to stay away from all the 'recreation'. So be careful because it's tough going. You could step into a muck hole and sink up to your hip! If it's frozen you'll be able to move much easier but remember, IT'S A SWAMP. Good luck and keep us posted with what you find.

Thanks for the info, it saved me a 2 1/2 hour trip from long island and waste my time trying to get anything out of there. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for yotes. Sterling Forest seems like the best bet for me. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I'm new to Yote hunting.

Yeah, that's a good idea, I have to look at google maps and see where there may be farms that are somewhat of a close ride from long island. If anybody has any suggestions on which towns in Orange or Putnam counties may have some farms worth asking it would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Why are you people not looking at NYC DEP lands,hunting fishing and trapping allowed

over 20,00 acres open in Putnam and a small portion in east Fishkill,go to their web site for more info and a free access permit,and maps

A true point, indeed. I consistently see coyotes at the NYCDEP property on Rt. 52 (where the pond is). Rest assured, there is no shortage of coyotes on that property. I always see them coming over the hill. Definitely a good spot for 'yotes.

• 1 month later...

I hunt a farm property here in Dutchess, the farmer asked me if I saw any "yotes" to shoot them, I guess they are stressing out his dairy cows...but take a ride north stop in and talk to some farmers ask them question of whether they are having a problem with "coyotes" might get your foot in the door to hunt some nice properties.

A true point, indeed. I consistently see coyotes at the NYCDEP property on Rt. 52 (where the pond is). Rest assured, there is no shortage of coyotes on that property. I always see them coming over the hill. Definitely a good spot for 'yotes.

By Camp Alamar?

I lived in Patterson for the first 19 years of my life. I have walked every inch of pine island we camped there fished there hunted birds and deer 1947-1966. there use to be a log camp on the north end It was always very spooky!!! In winter the river would flood you could ice skate for miles between the trees. On the way in there is a pile of 6x6x6 marble blocks that came out of the Hole near by. I have not been there in many years. take your boots.

I lived in Patterson for the first 19 years of my life. I have walked every inch of pine island we camped there fished there hunted birds and deer 1947-1966. there use to be a log camp on the north end It was always very spooky!!! In winter the river would flood you could ice skate for miles between the trees. On the way in there is a pile of 6x6x6 marble blocks that came out of the Hole near by. I have not been there in many years. take your boots.

That sounds spooky Pete... Are you talking about Pochuck State Forest or private land?

Also, I am assuming that you used to see coyotes there?