Squirrel tail question...

I tagged another little red this morning and was surprised to see its tail was half missing.  This is the second red in 2016 that has been missing half of his tail.  In fact both were taken in the same general area maybe 30 yards apart.  Is this a common thing with reds (I haven't seen it with local greys) or is it most likely from fighting or mating?

Sorry for the bloody image.  Hollow point mini-mag removed the lower jaw and part of the neck.

2037DC88-9EB1-4AF3-B202-3363F3E598AE_zps

I've seen this in reds & greys alike. I've always wondered too. Lots of possibilities I bet. Like a close call with a hawk, fox, or some other predator. Maybe it broke when he caught it in something. Maybe it even froze. A lot of them have a hard nub at the end where you can tell it healed over.

His wife/girlfriend chewed/bit it off for not chatting her up.I think this is common for a squirrel to lose the tip of the tail allows for new growth much like antlers on a Deer.

what?! so I should pass on the 4" tail this year because it may be 6" next year??

• Like 2

what?! so I should pass on the 4" tail this year because it may be 6" next year??

Yup!I have no real info to back up my thoughts as to why the squirrels tail is short/cut off.It is possible they loose the tip to allow for new growth.

Of course but you said tail so we assumed you meant the whole tail which is bone.

I assumed

Yes You are correct I did say tail.I was also being a wise @ss.I have now idea why the tip off a squirrels tail falls off.I have seen and shot many like this thought this was a way of re growth.

• Like 1

I eat all squirrels, it just depends how I cook them.  There isn't a lot of easily removable meat on reds so I normally slow cook them with 75/25 water and chicken broth with some seasoning (garlic, onion, ground celery seed).  After the quartered reds cook in that for about 3-4 hours I strain the liquid and fork off any little bit of meat I can get.  Eat the meat and freeze the liquid for making stew.

• Like 1