Proposed Changes for 2016

CFHunter

One comment I will make is that a lot if not all those listed wmu's are private land and some urban areas. I don't think the dec takes that into effect either. They see and hear about car and people property damages. But some of these same people will not let you hunt their property. So instead of figuring out away to control deer populations in urban areas the whole wmu pays the price. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I can't see the air guns as a ethical deer hunting weapon. And I'm speaking for myself. On the other hand referring to them as BB guns and useless is not fair.

Back to the topic though. If they are interested in a new and separate set of rules to target doe they could include other liberties as well. Because the problem of over population is in the urban and suburban areas the new season should be geared to that situation and leave the remaining seasons as they are.

1 - Doe only. This would truly be for population control and It's a first step that could develop into allowing a hunt for either sex.

2 - Archery only (including crossbow). Guns (including air guns) are perceived unsafe for dense human populated areas.

3 - Open up the dawn and dusk hours. At least the half hour before sunrise and after sunset. Some special rules in the past include hunting until 11 PM and allowing the use of lights.

4 - Provide Individual suburban landowners with doe permits transferable to hunters they choose for their backyards. The landowners will realize they do have a part in seeking a solution. This too is a great first step to establish communication between non-hunting suburban landowners and hunters eager to help.

This from a suburban hunter of two years.

Edited by RoadKill44

No to early muzzy season !    I think that would disrupt the entire season

Keep gun/muzzy as it is

Maybe 

Open bow & xbow  season 3rd Sat of Sept. as earlier antlerless only.  

Allow bow & xbow  antler to start  2nd Saturday in Oct 

Allow antlerless  bow & xbow  until 2nd Sun of Jan.

36 years of hunting in the suburbs for me. I was born, and raised here, and watched it go from a very hunter friendly area, to an urban cesspool. It is virtually impossible to get 500 feet from a dwelling, and the people moving up from NYC, and Westchester, are not pro hunting, or pro gun. If you shoot, or are seen carrying a gun to your hunting area, there's a 100% chance that the cops will be called on you. You will also be called a "murderer", by the douchebags riding by in their cars, because you hunt. It's a whole different ballgame down here.

Air guns are BB guns . So keep to your topic and don't bark up this tree . Sounds like your all for those "air guns"

You have it backwards, BB guns are airguns, but airguns are not BB guns. Your logic is at the same level as your education it seems, Kindergarten grade spelling mistakes.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Air guns are BB guns . So keep to your topic and don't bark up this tree . Sounds like your all for those "air guns"

So what if I am? What about it? Are you aware, that the Sam Yang .45 air rifle was used in Iraq? Never mind, my guess is that you haven't been anywhere remotely close to wearing the boots. Been there, done that.

You have it backwards, BB guns are airguns, but airguns are not BB guns. Your logic is at the same level as your education it seems, Kindergarten grade spelling mistakes.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

He acts like a wannabe tough guy. If he wants to debate, that's one thing. Spouting off is another.

• Like 1

Ooops. Didn't mean to step on your toe. In fact I agree with you. It's my opinion that big bore air guns are not for big game. I thought I said that.

And you definitely have a right to your opinion. Having said that, we also have to remember that many hunters don't believe that crossbows, in line muzzleloaders, compound bows, rifled shotgun barrels, and the list goes on and on, shouldn't be used for deer either. I still remember when the compound first came out, as to how many hunters thought it had no place in bow hunting. Times have changed, and so have the implements capable of hunting. Hell, I know guys who think the crossbow has no business in any season. Actually, big bore air rifles have been used very successfully in states that they have been legal in for years now. Now, I can certainly understand your concerns about the shortcomings of air rifles, but they can also be modified to gain much more power.

Ok debate over for me air gun or big bore air gun . What ever you want to call it . Nothing I want to buy or use for a hunting implement.

That is most certainly your choice. Not everyone will see eye to eye on everything. I understand that.

Interesting subject. And to be quite honest, as I read this posting, a smile crosses my face. I'm actually seeing a partial transformation of public opinion on the use of the crossbow. A lot of the compound bow hunters that were diametrically opposed to the use of crossbows during archery season have come full circle in their opinions of crossbow use in the archery season. Apparently, us crossbow users are less of an intrusion on their god given right to have the public hunting lands to themselves. It took the possibility of opening part of archery season to muzzleloader. Apparently, to some of the compound bow hunters, the thought of sharing the woods with a gun user, from a noise and safety perspective, is less favorable than with with a crossbow hunter.

Well as someone that has owned an archery tag for in excess of thirty years. I didn't appreciate the fact that my ability to continue to hunt, when I found it necessary to change from a compound to crossbow, met with resistance from the compound acher community. So much so, that the state of New York decided my Xbox was to be considered a gun during the first part of the archery season then miraculously becomes an archery tool for the latter part of the season.

It's almost worth tolerating gun hunters during my archery season(payback), but I hunt private land.

• Like 3

Interesting subject. And to be quite honest, as I read this posting, a smile crosses my face. I'm actually seeing a partial transformation of public opinion on the use of the crossbow. A lot of the compound bow hunters that were diametrically opposed to the use of crossbows during archery season have come full circle in their opinions of crossbow use in the archery season. Apparently, us crossbow users are less of an intrusion on their god given right to have the public hunting lands to themselves. It took the possibility of opening part of archery season to muzzleloader. Apparently, to some of the compound bow hunters, the thought of sharing the woods with a gun user, from a noise and safety perspective, is less favorable than with with a crossbow hunter.

Well as someone that has owned an archery tag for in excess of thirty years. I didn't appreciate the fact that my ability to continue to hunt, when I found it necessary to change from a compound to crossbow, met with resistance from the compound acher community. So much so, that the state of New York decided my Xbox was to be considered a gun during the first part of the archery season then miraculously becomes an archery tool for the latter part of the season.

It's almost worth tolerating gun hunters during my archery season(payback), but I hunt private land.

Well said !  I have been thinking the same thing.

For those that say large bore air guns are suitable not for big game  should educate yourselves on how lethal these are.   Many states have allowed them for years.  To call them BB guns is absurd.   These guns drop deer no differently than any other legal means in place today.  I would disagree with a special season for them, but to use during firearms season  what's the big deal ?

• Like 2