Ever Been Buzzed by a Goshawk

Curmudgeon

Goshawks are probably the most dangerous bird in North American. They are extremely defensive of their nests once the eggs have hatched. When I needed to go near their nest for research purposes, I would often carry an umbrella to give them a target that was not my head.

I have talked to turkey hunters who have been buzzed by them. I also know of a couple of instances where nesting goshawks have been shot during May. One of those incidents happened a couple of years ago on public land along the Finger Lakes Trail in Chenango County. The hawk was well known to hikers. As far as I know, it never hit anyone.

Back in the 90s, someone writing in a statewide publication was claiming goshawks were coming into hunter's turkey calls because they wanted to kill turkeys. If you know anything about goshawks, this is absurd. They are a bit smaller than a red-tailed hawk - see photo, gos on right. A gos coming in aggressively does so because a threat is too close to its nest.

One time, a gos burst out of thick cover in my face, coming right at me. I did not see or hear it until it was about 30 feet away. Time to change my pants.

They are actually both rare and hard to find. They find you when you are near their nest. Have any of you encountered goshawks acting aggressively during turkey season?

post-5300-0-77875900-1455458934_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 6

Yes I have, once by a goshawk and a couple of times by Cooper's hawks.

There is a nest on state land near here where the DEC has put up signs near it warning of a goshawk nest.

As far as hawks attacking turkeys, I once saw a red tail attack an adult hen turkey. He dove and hit her right in the middle of the back, then peeled away. No harm done as far as I could tell, but she was one pissed off turkey.

• Like 3

Never seen or have been buzzed by one yet. I have had an owl above me while I was set up against a tree, and it was moving up and down that branch while making chopping sounds by opening and closing his mouth while starring down at me!!! My hair stood up because I thought he was about to swoop down on my head!!! I took off my hat and started waving it back and forth to let him see how big I was...lol!!! That must of done the trick, he then flew off!!

• Like 1

I don't know what kind of hawk it was but a year ago deer season I got setup in the dark. Just as it was getting light enough to see shadows I had a hawk land in a tree about 30 feet from me at the same level I was at. It was from reading this forum that I learned he might come at me so it wasn't a complete surprise when he did. I threw my arms up in an x across my face and he peeled away at the last second. It scared me even though I was ready for it. If I hadn't read about that happening to people on here it would have never occurred to me that I could get attacked. Glad I read about it....

• Like 1

Ap -

Really interesting. I am wondering if you were in camo. A bow hunting friend had a Sharp-shinned Hawk - a jay size bird eater and miniature cousin of a goshawk - watch him after landing next to him on a branch. When my buddy blinked his eye, the hawk came right at his face like it was attacking a bird. It must have thought his eye was prey. Sharpshins are regular at bird feeders. When they are around, woodpeckers freeze. You would think they are made of wood. The hawks do not perceive them as animate. They are ignored unless they make a mistake and move too soon - before the hawk is gone. I've seen that happen. The hawk waited and waited. Finally something moved and died.

As far as a redtail attacking an adult turkey, I have never seen contact. I did see a redtail come in low on a group when the turkeys' heads were the only thing showing above the grass. When it got almost on top of the turkeys, it reared up, seemingly realizing a turkey was more than it bargained for. 

Ap -

Really interesting. I am wondering if you were in camo. A bow hunting friend had a Sharp-shinned Hawk - a jay size bird eater and miniature cousin of a goshawk - watch him after landing next to him on a branch. When my buddy blinked his eye, the hawk came right at his face like it was attacking a bird. It must have thought his eye was prey. Sharpshins are regular at bird feeders. When they are around, woodpeckers freeze. You would think they are made of wood. The hawks do not perceive them as animate. They are ignored unless they make a mistake and move too soon - before the hawk is gone. I've seen that happen. The hawk waited and waited. Finally something moved and died.

As far as a redtail attacking an adult turkey, I have never seen contact. I did see a redtail come in low on a group when the turkeys' heads were the only thing showing above the grass. When it got almost on top of the turkeys, it reared up, seemingly realizing a turkey was more than it bargained for. 

I was all in camo. It was bow season. I am sure the only thing it saw was my face or eyes like you said.

I have called in numerous hawks and owls since I started predator hunting yrs. ago. I have had some land pretty close to me in some situations using an electronic call placed anywhere from 50-100 yds. upwind. I have no idea what type of hawks they were but it's a thrill to have a bird of prey land only 10 yds. from you.

• Like 1

This Cooper's Hawk has been sitting 15' from the house for almost an hour. The feeder birds are not happy. Both photos taken with a cheap point and shoot. The head shot taken through my spotting scope. Note sheep in the background.

post-5300-0-60243600-1456244882_thumb.jp

post-5300-0-00532200-1456244912_thumb.jp

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 3