Erie co. pistol transfer ?

We went to transfer my pistols on to my son in laws permit & was told I couldn't put my guns on his permit unless we both filled out new paper work & both went through new back ground checks.  This makes no sense to us. We both got our permits in 3/13 & just did all of this.  They also said we need to get paper work from an FFl & all this needs to be done because he is not a blood relative.   But I can put guns on my daughters permit & just transfer them over.

My daughter was just getting her permit at this same time , we were there for 3 hrs.(workers setting at their desks laughing & talking , not doing a thing) to get 2 steps of her permit done, she needs to do a few more steps & then go back to finish up, there has to be a better way! There were only 8-10 people ahead of us.  I guess I'll just wait & put my guns on hers!  They sure don't make things easy, but very aggravating.    Rant over !

Woodchuck are you in Erie county ? Each county is different , Monroe is about the best for permits , unrestricted carry, no classes to take easy transfers , no interviews ,our daughter just got hers in 3months.

Erie county is no where near as friendly , from what I hear .

I thought the nics check was needed in all countries of NYS if a pistol was to be transfered to anyone besides a blood relative??

Does the safe act require a nics check for the sale of any gun??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, all "sales" or "transfers" of firearms require a NICS check unless it's going to (I think) mom, dad or children.

I'm in oneida county. Oneida county is tough to get no restrictions and the wait is long, you have to take a class. A week before I sold the 96f I bought a sig and after I got the pistol on my permit I had to go through the nice check. Talk about screwed up

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Yes, all "sales" or "transfers" of firearms require a NICS check unless it's going to (I think) mom, dad or children.

That's what it sounded like, if going to a blood relative  I don't think NICS check is need. But I still don't see the need for a FFL & paper work on both of us & I bet it will cost more then  $3 bucks in Erie co.

It went through. Sat down, he took pistol off of my permit and put it on my buddies. 3 bucks to take it off of my permit, and another 3 bucks to put it on his. Easy.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Sorry to be a pain....but what year and what county was this in?

And congrats to you if it was that easy!

Yep..A NICS check has to be done on the buyer, unless  the two parties are immediate family,,and I think they have to live in the same household. Thats the SAFE sham law. 

From what I have been reading the nics check doesn't need to be presented to the pistol permit office when the gun is being transferred... Just needs to be completed by the buyer and kept by the seller or it could be punished with a misdemeanor.

No ffl needed...just not sure who you get a nics check without involving an ffl?

From what I have been reading the nics check doesn't need to be presented to the pistol permit office when the gun is being transferred... Just needs to be completed by the buyer and kept by the seller or it could be punished with a misdemeanor.

No ffl needed...just not sure who you get a nics check without involving an ffl?

I'll take a swing at this...............

Pistols/revolvers must go through a FFL when changing hands, hence the NICS check.  Then the buyer & seller have a bill of sale/transfer that they can show their respective pistol permit departments because the FFL has to run the guns through HIS books.

Clear as mud?