trail cam help

New to the trail camera world and really enjoying it. I want to get a few more and have them out on the property. I just had a few questions.

I have a bushnell NINJA CAM 12MP and it seems easy to use. I have the Cam at a 45 degree angle to the trail- facing north. But I want to make sure I am at the right height. I have read multiple online sources that are saying 6 and up(angled down) or 3-4 feet high. What is your guys experience with this? I also want to make sure I am on a tree that is close enough to pick up activity but far enough to get the whole deer in the picture. The directions say a range of 45 feet. Thank you 

I like mine about 3.5 feet high, and always try to face them north. Having the camera at the same level as your subject just makes for a better picture in my opinion. If you have slope you'll have to take that into consideration on the angle of the camera. I use small sticks to get an angle that looks good to me.  As far as distance from the game trail, 10-15 yards is about right. If it's too close, you may end up with just half of an animal.

I have to say it depends on if private " safe" land or not. Guys put them high to avoid theft and deer noticing red glow. Black flash eliminates that. High narrows view a lot. If you get North winds in the winter and it snows,expect the lens to fill in. In the winter I try to avoid prevailing wind over Sun.

If where you plan to set the cameras out is fairly close to home , experiment .

I have a couple cameras set up on private property in Walworth . One is about 4' hight and the other is about 10' high if I have it on a ATV trail  because we get tresspassers in the woods . The deer don't seem to pay any attention to the high camera . I keep a ladder chained to a tree a ways away from the camera placement . 

this is on private property and I have it locked up well. So it seems like 3.5-4 FT would be ideal. I do not want it on central location- but all over as there is multiple routes to this main trail.(what everyone says you get when you put up high) Just worried about the deer noticing the red glow. It is kind of funny- I get the most pictures on them the day of changing the card. They are curious now that its not hunting season. I am going to start using scent away now. 

I used to have red IR cams, and always got that deer in the headlights pose. I thought nothing of it until I started running video and saw what happened most of the time right after that pose. I will say that the reactions were mostly negative. Now that I run black flash, I dont have that issue, even when I run my cams low (3 to 4 feet).

thanks for your input everyone. I do have to say they seem to notice the red glow. Maybe high and pointed down maybe the answer. I am going to bring a climbing stick with me and give it a whirl when I get to camp again. I need to get an reader for my phone- it would be easier to do trial and error this way. Although I read to take your phone and lay it flat on the camera and take a picture. this will give you an idea of placement. 

I will be looking into the black flash next time I purchase one. 

Fasteddie- that is neat how you were able to get the trespassers. I want to see what is going on down to camp when I am not there!