DIY Cutting Boards

We were out shopping a few weeks back and hit a little woodworking shop and they had some nice cutting boards. So i figured id give it a try. Mind you I have almost zero tools, actually none but i was able to borrow some. Basically i cut the peices with the chainsaw then used the table saw or miter saw for the edges/ends. Then used a power handheld plainer and a palm sander. I figure ill keep a couple and give the rest as gifts. The one on the left is from a large red oak that came down like 5yrs ago, the middle wood I'm not sure and the right is walnut from my back yard.

post-2758-0-57559600-1459289452_thumb.jp

post-2758-0-00423000-1459289467_thumb.jp

• Like 6

First off it doesn't take long to wipe ANY cutting board off.  Second, I'd never put a wooden cutting board in a dishwasher, same as I wouldn't soak one in a sink of water.

Wood handled knives and other wood handled kitchen goods shouldn't go in the DW either, IMO.

Very cool!

Not to rain doom on your ingenuity here, but be very careful with certain woods as food prep surfaces. Walnut and white oak contain a lot of tannic acid. Not good for food prep. Red oak is very porous and extremely difficult to clean. Also not good for food prep.

There's a good reason why butcher blocks and cutting boards are usually made of hard maple.

Just tryin' to keep you safe my friend.

And BTW, good old-fashioned mineral oil is the best way to treat any wood that comes into contact with food; blocks, boards, or knife handles.

• Like 2