Hunting/Gun Licensing in NYC

DuckHunt

Hey everybody, I'll keep this as concise as possible. I'm a 21+ year old in NYC, and I want to start hunting. Waterfowl/turkeys are my primary interest (ducks, birds, turkeys, etc.); I'd prefer to hunt with a rifle or shotgun, but I'd appreciate any information I can get on bows as well if they're easier to obtain. I don't have a gun license, and I was wondering whether to apply for the gun license or hunting license first as I'm under the impression that NYC gun laws are insanely restrictive. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me  ;)

PS - I have no prior military/LEO service, no criminal history, etc. NY/NJ/DE would be preferably hunting places.

D. Hunter

Hey everybody, I'll keep this as concise as possible. I'm a 21+ year old in NYC, and I want to start hunting. Waterfowl/turkeys are my primary interest (ducks, birds, turkeys, etc.); I'd prefer to hunt with a rifle or shotgun, but I'd appreciate any information I can get on bows as well if they're easier to obtain. I don't have a gun license, and I was wondering whether to apply for the gun license or hunting license first as I'm under the impression that NYC gun laws are insanely restrictive. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me  ;)

PS - I have no prior military/LEO service, no criminal history, etc. NY/NJ/DE would be preferably hunting places.

D. Hunter

I got news for you, things are about to get worse. See Ken Moran's article in today's NY POST,page 59 or refer to Assembly Bill 1479 introduced by DEMOCRAT Linda Rosenthal.

Ken Moran

That rifle you use for hunting maybe la beled an assault rifle if a New York bill is passed.

Assembly Bill 1479, introduced by Democrat Linda Rosenthal, changes the state's definition of "assault weapon." The new definition would classify firearms commonly used for hunting, such as semi-automatic shotguns that have a thumbhole stock or a pistol grip, as assault weapons.

Currently, possession of assault weapons in the state is generally prohibited.

Even more dangerous to sportsmen and gun owners, the bill gives the Superintendent of State Police the authority to regulate and classify additional firearms as "assault weapons" simply by finding that a firearm feature or modification is "particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes." The Superintendent also can designate specific firearms by make and model to be considered assault weapons.        Ultimately, the bill gives the Superintendent vast powers to determine which firearms citizens can and cannot own.

"This bill is taking an already extreme set of gun laws and making them worse. It outlaws many popular firearms that are commonly used for hunting and gives immense power to the State Police to restrict law-abiding gun owners even further," said Evan Heusinkveld, director of state services for the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance. "Sportsmen, gun owners, and collectors alike need to call their state assemblyperson and senator today to express their opposition to this dangerous bill."

Though AB 1479 does include an exemption that allows citizens to keep newly declared "assault weapons" that are possessed before July 1, 2012, the exemption does little to ease the concerns of sportsmen. The bill in turn requires those firearms that are "grandfathered in" to be rendered inoperable or registered with the state. Even after proper registration, the bill only allows those firearms to be used at a licensed gun range and not while hunting.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/ny_bill_takes_aim_at_hunting_rifles_6XctSxPr738TCnqXgNZYYO#ixzz1BuA11UKR

Have you taken the Hunter Safety courses ? If not , you need to take both .

My youngest son found out the hard way that he couldn't get a bow license without taking the Gun Safety course .

No, I haven't. So I would take these courses and then apply for the rifle/shotgun permit through the NYPD? Or should I apply for the permit prior to taking the courses? Any info you have is great, thanks again.

I am not familiar with the NYC rules / regulations concerning various permits . I have never heard of any requirement for a "shotgun permit" . I am aware that NYC has stricter laws on permits than the rest of the state . When applying for the pistol permit , I would check the "for hunting" box .

If you plan to Bow hunt , you need to have satisfactorily completed both the Gun Safety and Bow Safety courses . My youngest son wanted to bow hunt only . He took the Bow safety course and passed with no problem . A week before season opened , he went to Gander Mt to get the Bow License but couldn't because he hadn't taken the Gun Safety course ( even though he had no intention to gun hunt ) . It helps if you know the rules / regulations .

DuckHunt.  I am also new to hunting (started hunting 2 months ago) and I'm also from NYC so here's what you need to know.

#1.  Gun license and hunting license are completely independent of each other.  You can technically hunt without a gun license and you can own a gun and not hunt.

#2.  You want to apply for your gun license as soon as you can.  It takes about 10 to 12 weeks to process.  You can forget about getting a handgun/pistol.  In NYC, that's almost impossible.  Rifles and shotguns are easier.  You would have to go to the rifle and shotgun office in Queens.  Here's the info.  They open late on Mondays.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml

Technically, once you apply, you can purchase a shotgun or rifle.  If stopped, police can check and find out that your license is in the processing stage and you would be fine but I wouldn't chance it though because they have to take your weapons into their possession until they can clarify that you have applied and who know how long that would take or how you would be treated during the process.

#3  Obtain your hunting license.  Again, you don't need a gun license to apply for a hunting license.  To apply for a hunting license, you need to complete the hunters safety course.

Here's a list of state-wide course schedule.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9191.html

If you don't see one near you or at a appropriate time, check back ever so often because they update it as new courses are offered.

Once you pass the test you will get your hunter's safety certification in the mail in a couple of business days.  This allows you to go to any local retailer that handles hunting licenses and by a license.  The hunters safety certification is good for life.  Hunting licenses are only good for the hunting year so you will have to buy a new one each year.  You can also purchase it online.

If you are going to trap and/or bow hunt, you need to take a trappers class and/or bow hunting class respectively.

#4  Rifle and shotgun purchase.  New York State has the strictest gun laws in the country.  New York City is even stricter.  You have to remember that NYC seperates itself from the rest of the state.  You can carry a shotgun without a license in Westchester but you can't in the Bronx.  Know the law before you purchase.

Read the entire Penal Code 260 regulating possession of fireamrs.

.htm'>http://wings.buffalo.edu/law/bclc/web/NewYork/ny3(B).htm

Rule of thumb.  If you are not sure, ask.  You can message me if you want.  Second rule of thumb, if you go with a semi-auto, 20 million restrictions apply so tread carefully.  If you stick with bolt-action, pump action, break-action, lever action, or single shot...you're much better off.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

So what happens for the guys from LI that go upstate with a shotgun or rifle and may drive through NYC or one of the borough's? Are they transporting a weapon illegally?

No....you have a 24 hr window, no permit required.

Scroll down the page to each state with regs;

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Handguns are another matter and that can get sticky; there was a recent ruling on this were a traveller in NJ was hosed over by police; you can read here....

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8121043/m/5581071841

I have transited JFK with both(long gun and handgun), and when checking a handgun there had no issues with local police who also check the gun case in addition to TSA. But I am very discreet and try my best to keep the situation low-key. So far and several trips later I have had no problems, and do not expect any.