Hearing Enhancement/ Game ears

I started using regular hearing aids last spring . I only use them for bow hunting and don't put them in until I am on stand . I think they cost about $4800 so I don't want to lose them . I can hear the squirrels and Blue Jays better now .

I don't wear them during gun season . Soooo , if your hearing is normal , the enhancement must be a real plus ! alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]

I started using regular hearing aids last spring . I only use them for bow hunting and don't put them in until I am on stand . I think they cost about $4800 so I don't want to lose them . I can hear the squirrels and Blue Jays better now .

I don't wear them during gun season . Soooo , if your hearing is normal , the enhancement must be a real plus ! alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]

I wear hearing aids also Eddie and I lost one in the woods this year bowhunting  :'( .  When I was getting fitted for my 'new ears' I asked the Audiologist about those 'hunting' hearing aids and he told me to save my money and forget about them.  He said they were 'okay', but they weren't always reliable and could do damage to one's hearing (and it wasn't because he was getting money, because I got them through the VA due to a Service Connected disability).  Thankfully they replace the first loss w/o charging - next time (?) it's on my dime.

I wear my 'ears' the entire season (bowhunting and rifle).  They have a shut-off feature that I use just before firing my rifle (although they do have a decimal threashold) to semi-protect my hearing - LOL.

Ball...

If you're looking to protect your hearing (and please do so, it's very valuable!) - I'd go with ear plugs seeing that you're in a blind with others.  You can get some that are tied together so you can wrap them around your neck and insert them on a moments notice, if you wanted to hear conversations better.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the walker's game ear digital muffs. I love them. they offer great protection when shooting...because of their automatic dB cut off. They also allow for easy conversation and really magnify the noises made by game. they also magnify other noises like highways and barking dogs....which can be a little annoying. the ears have individual volume adjustment and there are 4 speakers so the direction of the sounds is very easy to pin point once you get use to them. They have cut outs to allow for you head to fit against the stock of the gun .....but that too takes a little getting use to.

The only fault is they take N sized batteries. they can be a bummer to find in remote areas...all Walmarts and retailers like those carry them but chances are you won't get them at a conveinence store. I get 2 full days out of a set of batteries.