Stands

Adkhunter1590

For those of you that leave stands up? How do you safely inspect them for broken welds, deterioration of straps,deteriorated cables? I can only do that at ground level and using weights to test them .. can't imagine trying to do that in a tree

Strap in well before getting on it. I wear a line and harness so I can tie off to the tree and am very secure. I almost only have hang on stands and I have replaced all the cables with chains. I also use a safety chain around the tree in case the strap goes. Most of my stands are ones I've welded up myself they are heavy but strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dick's Sporting goods usually has a sale preseason, if you pick up a 20' set of sticks it makes a great way to help maintain straps & tie downs on ladder stands. Then I'll usually have an extra hang on & use the sticks to check out a new spot.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:03 AM, G-Man said:

For those of you that leave stands up? How do you safely inspect them for broken welds, deterioration of straps,deteriorated cables? I can only do that at ground level and using weights to test them .. can't imagine trying to do that in a tree

For Hang-ons:

I use the life-line attached to my harness, and just do a visual first, if all looks good i will give it a few good pulls and pushes, maybe a shake .. flex the cable that keeps it at a 90 degree.. if all seems well, ill make the step onto the platform.. after 5 or 6 years of steady use and nothing breaking, i will replace bolts, or the hole stand itself. My brother fell a few years ago out of his climber, due to rushing up the tree and not properly locking in his straps. after mercy flight and a long year of recovery, he has learned its not wrth it, and to take his time, not his life. 

Ladder stands: 

not much to check besides walking up them, and doing the visual on the way up. and the occasional shake to make sure verythign held together, of course attached to a lifeline and harness.

Too hot and buggy yet for me. Once we get a cool morning I will get started. Most that needed moving got done after the season. I mostly use ladder stands and my climber. On the ladder stands they stay out and I loosen the straps. When I go in to inspect as grow says tie in and check em out.

For one thing I give them a few good raps...I hear a bunch of rust tinkling down  they get taken down and thoroughly checked wire brushed and repainted...as far as straps go ...ALL of them have a heavy chain  as a back up plus 2 extra straps farther down the ladder.