Logging and deer hunting

Chef

So I went back with the realtor to take another look at the place that I'm going to contract on. I did some deeper exploring into the woods and saw just how heavily the place was logged. Some places were untouched while others were all but cleared, the loggers did leave a lot and I mean a lot of debris, but it looks like it is starting to get over grown.... I did see a ton of deer tracks in the logging road that was used... I'm guessing that all this debris and new growth will make for great deer habitat, do you guys agree.... Any advice for hunting areas like this.... I'm thinking about removing some of the debris and putting plots in the cleared areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef, This reply is a blind one for I do not know how much you know of tree species,or any plant species. Now that said in order to get the optimum gain from anything you do on your new property,you need to have as much knowledge  as you can. You should also learn as much as you can about the lands around you...topography maps,Google maps.....climb close to boundaries and glass the area. Logging debris is wonderful .for bedding and will rot down readily in some species..but last a very long time in others.

If neighbors have much food and much hunting pressure and you have bedding they will have lots of movement...but mainly dawn dusk. Leaving you with day movement if handled right..So you need to do some research....You want good mast and or browse with good water and protection.This or knowledge of how and when they move through you to other properties,setting up accordingly

Chef, This reply is a blind one for I do not know how much you know of tree species,or any plant species. Now that said in order to get the optimum gain from anything you do on your new property,you need to have as much knowledge  as you can. You should also learn as much as you can about the lands around you...topography maps,Google maps.....climb close to boundaries and glass the area. Logging debris is wonderful .for bedding and will rot down readily in some species..but last a very long time in others.

If neighbors have much food and much hunting pressure and you have bedding they will have lots of movement...but mainly dawn dusk. Leaving you with day movement if handled right..So you need to do some research....You want good mast and or browse with good water and protection.This or knowledge of how and when they move through you to other properties,setting up accordingly

. From what I do know the neighbors is mostly mature Forrest, my land gently slopes up to a road about 1/2 mile away. The bottom part of my property comes to a creek bed, if you follow the creek about 1/2 mile down it comes to two 40 acer corn fields that touch one corner of my land... So with a few small plots my land will have everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I wouldn't remove any unless it's blocking a major trail..and only if it would funnel deer by my stand. 

I have planted many food plots and have realised I do not need as many as I thought. I have learned to truly access what my property is lacking in each season. I was lacking thermal cover for winter..spruce plantings have taken care of that. Spring I didn't need anything as I have a lot of browse and thickets from past logging. Summer I needed some food and water, fall I needed thick undisturbed cover. ( this was my access mentioned for deer ) turkey nesting and bugging habitat was lacking so several of my food plots have been let go to turn back into native grasses and weeds. Almost 10 acres of them. 

If you want a little sweet spot to hunt the logging roads wold do very well with minimal work and cost.. some lime fert and clover and a cereal grain or turnips . That debris that the loginng left will allow proper reforestation as seedlings are protected as well as a great bedding area and browse for 7 to 12 years.. you can't get that out of a plot without replanting and a lot of maintenance.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The property I lease was logged heavily a couple years ago, the only downside was all the new quad access it created for the neighbors

Blocking by piling tops and or dropping trees to limit access works well.

• Like 2

My advice to you is make a few of those debris filled areas sanctuaries, if they are an acre or more 5 ro 10 is nice, more center to the property the better,that will do more for your hunting than any food plot ever could.  Do not enter them ,shoot into them ,or track a wounded deer in daylight I them..  deer will find use and stay in them and your neighbors will push deer into them.  A food plot in the logging road near by is a good stragedy.  You will eventually get monster rubs and scrapes around the outside of the sanctuary and trails leading in... do not hunt these or "just get in the edge"

My neighboring camps do not understand how we can take 18 to 20 deer off the property a year.. but we have a 30 acre sanctuary and them entering, leaving , driving to ,slamming cardoors, starting fires in their cabins all help push deer to where they know they will be safe.  We simply wait them out when the deer leave to breed and eat . 

Eventually these ares will grow up and need to be rethickend, do this in winter by felling and hinge cutting. You can also plant thermal cover in an opening if it's been clear cut. 

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Depending on the layout of the property, and where these clearcuts and logging roads are within. A sanctuary to me, is 1st choice, followed by food plot when it comes to harvesting whitetail during season. By leaving a few of these areas alone for sanctuaries, you will have cover for the deer to feel safe, filled with probably a bunch of native food/forage.. Depending on the quantity of the openings, then maybe a food plot. As long as it grows they will eat it, but if theres no cover to feel safe in, near by.. they will eat it more after dark than during shooting hours. 

I hunt a piece about 33 acres, that was logged heavily twice, within 8 years. The first year the deer were there browsing but not staying long.. about 2 years after the 2nd logging.. there is now awesome bedding cover and natural browse all over the place.. i took one logging road and turned it into a clover plot that runs along the out skirts of where they bed primarily.. i leave that as my sanctuary (about 5 acres) and only go in when i have to tend the food plot.