My Slug Gun

airedale

A 12ga Winchester Super X1, had the slug barrel made by Lefever Arms Rome NY back in the late seventies. Had them cut the choke off a plain barrel and install Browning sights. This gun would put the old Remington 7/8 ounce foster slugs on top of one another at 60 yds. It shot so good I ended up having it drilled and tapped for a scope and put on this Leupold Vari X1 3X (all my get serious guns have Leupolds) which had saw previous duty on an Ithaca 51 Deerslayer. I killed quite a few Deer with this outfit including the best buck I ever took. Don't hunt the southern zone or shotgun only areas these days so the old Winchester has not seen any action in some time.

With the rifled barrels and sabot slugs of today she is  not in the same league as the slug guns available now when it comes to long range.

002_zps9r1ilbt8.jpg

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Great rig.  Bye the bye, how do you find the 3x fixed?

I am looking at the Leupold custom shop 3x fixed because it has a long tube and no power ring to interfere with my bolt's handle.  I think it's FXII based technology.  It will be $399 + $50 for the reticle change.  

Was 3x ever too much magnification for a close shot?

Again, great rig!  Thanks for showing it to us.

Back when I purchased the Leupold 3X it was a regular cataloged scope in their lineup, it is just about perfect for the shorter ranges Foster slug firing shotguns are normally used. For me it has a plenty wide enough field of view for short range, all the deer I have taken with slugs have been under 100 yards, some almost on top of me.

This guy almost ran me over and I put him down at about 25 yards. Back then I had enough hair to keep my head warm.

2249643150033835012lBEjnh_fs_zps0ga05wqp

I have recently purchased a couple of the current Leupold 2.5 compacts, they have the same style but they are lighter and shorter, I like them a lot. They have a long eye relief and a huge field of view which makes them great to use on slug guns also I think. I have one currently mounted on a little Marlin 94 44 mag, when this weather cools off a little I will be putting it to the test on the range.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaeger said:

Great rig.  Bye the bye, how do you find the 3x fixed?

I am looking at the Leupold custom shop 3x fixed because it has a long tube and no power ring to interfere with my bolt's handle.  I think it's FXII based technology.  It will be $399 + $50 for the reticle change.  

Was 3x ever too much magnification for a close shot?

Again, great rig!  Thanks for showing it to us.

If you're thinking the 3X straight tube scope will work, go over to the S.W.F.A. website and click on the Samplelist tab. They have a Demo A Leupold 3x20 VX2 with a duplex reticle (#SPL23958) for $309.95. There are other good deals on there also. Anything Demo A or Demo B is fine. 

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I love your "do" Al...

Is your last name Yankovich, by any chance  ??...<<grin>>...

1 hour ago, phade said:

The rig is nice, the buck is nice, but that hair? That's real nice.

Yes that was a real nice head of hair 35 years ago, a real pompadour, today I buzz what I have left right down to the scalp. Dan some might say I am a little weird at times but I can assure you my last name is not Yankovich.

I believe there may be a direct correlation with hair and horns, back when I had the mop I was taking some pretty nice bucks, these days the points have become a lot fewer. But like my hair today I am not nearly as fussy as I was when I was a young buck myself.:rofl:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

Bugsnbows, Yes I was aware of SWFA but they do not carry the 3post reticle I like, need to special order, but thanks.

The listed 2.5x's seem great, but lack the tube length for a std length bolt action and still be able to mount far to the rear for my lop/eye relief.

Thanks airdale!  Hey, I have almost the exact same pic of me next to my racing go-cart from the early 80's, mustache and all!!  Remember the "Pic" we used to tease our hair out like that!!

Keep mine pretty much buzzed now as well, well what I have left.  Barber uses #1 clipper in the summer and #'s 2 or 3 in late fall/winter depending on temps!

Thanks guys for the 3x experience based advice, I keep looking through my vari's set at 3 and seem to come up the same.

Still a great looking gun and great rig.  Bet it would do as well or better even today at putting 'em down than any rifle at under 100 yards.

• Like 1

Jaeger, even though the Leupold 2.5 compact is short physically the eye relief it has is almost 5 inches, it should work well on just about any standard mounting situation. If you can find a store that has one in stock and take a look through it you will be impressed.

Al

2 hours ago, Jaeger said:

Bugsnbows, Yes I was aware of SWFA but they do not carry the 3post reticle I like, need to special order, but thanks.

The listed 2.5x's seem great, but lack the tube length for a std length bolt action and still be able to mount far to the rear for my lop/eye relief.

Thanks airdale!  Hey, I have almost the exact same pic of me next to my racing go-cart from the early 80's, mustache and all!!  Remember the "Pic" we used to tease our hair out like that!!

Keep mine pretty much buzzed now as well, well what I have left.  Barber uses #1 clipper in the summer and #'s 2 or 3 in late fall/winter depending on temps!

Thanks guys for the 3x experience based advice, I keep looking through my vari's set at 3 and seem to come up the same.

Still a great looking gun and great rig.  Bet it would do as well or better even today at putting 'em down than any rifle at under 100 yards.

Thats true... but if you can buy the scope for about $100 less, you can send it in to the custom shop for a reticle change ... for a few bucks. 

• 4 weeks later...