Any tips for 2016 bear hunting?

Shawn1878

Hello, everyone. I would like to ask you guys some tips for bear hunting. I absolutely have no experience about bear hunting, I would like to try this coming 2016 early bear season.

I live in Albany, any good places to scouting for bears? Last year I saw one when I was hunting for deer near catskil. 

I think it's nice just hanging in the woods looking for bear while scouting for deer tracks.

Anyway,hope you guys can give me some tips for bear hunting.

Thanks you very much! Good luck to your hunting trip! 

• Like 1

if you can't already read sign then start off by learning to track and read sign.

a hunter can look at a series of tracks and tell what made them, male or female, the weight, what the animal is doing and what the animal is going to do because all of its physical characteristics and its behavior is told right there in it's passing.

then it's simply a matter of finding the foods bears prefer in the area you are looking in, find its foods then find its tracks and follow them, soon you'll see that the bears feed in the beeches in the morning and the oaks in evening or they are staying in and around the cherries right now or hitting the blackberries hard.

simply put yourself on a post by their feeding area and shoot one or as I prefer, track one down and try to get a shot.

have fun, you're starting an addiction

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

if you can't already read sign then start off by learning to track and read sign.

a hunter can look at a series of tracks and tell what made them, male or female, the weight, what the animal is doing and what the animal is going to do because all of its physical characteristics and its behavior is told right there in it's passing.

then it's simply a matter of finding the foods bears prefer in the area you are looking in, find its foods then find its tracks and follow them, soon you'll see that the bears feed in the beeches in the morning and the oaks in evening or they are staying in and around the cherries right now or hitting the blackberries hard.

simply put yourself on a post by their feeding area and shoot one or as I prefer, track one down and try to get a shot.

have fun, you're starting an addiction

Thank you very much! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Shawn1878 said:

Hello, everyone. I would like to ask you guys some tips for bear hunting. I absolutely have no experience about bear hunting, I would like to try this coming 2016 early bear season.

I live in Albany, any good places to scouting for bears? Last year I saw one when I was hunting for deer near catskil. 

I think it's nice just hanging in the woods looking for bear while scouting for deer tracks.

Anyway,hope you guys can give me some tips for bear hunting.

Thanks you very much! Good luck to your hunting trip! 

Did you check the local camp ground or garbage dumb ? I here yoggy likes  to hang out there