When to open a new scrape

nybuckboy

Imo think of deer hunting like water fowl or turkey. You wanna be where the deer wanna be, same w birds. A perfect set is no good if the game isn't coming to the area. Now that being said Id never personally set up a scrape but hunt over one they opened. I'm very low key in my approach n never leave reason for suspicion. It's just the way I do it not the only way but Id wait for em to tell you where to go

6 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Imo think of deer hunting like water fowl or turkey. You wanna be where the deer wanna be, same w birds. A perfect set is no good if the game isn't coming to the area. Now that being said Id never personally set up a scrape but hunt over one they opened. I'm very low key in my approach n never leave reason for suspicion. It's just the way I do it not the only way but Id wait for em to tell you where to go

That  might work for you , but i do the complete opposite. I open up scrapes where i want them to be and to attract them to my property. I also tailor my food plots to attract and feed wildlife however they are strategically situated to put the deer where i want them. With limited acreage its hard to wait for deer to make thier next move or to wait for a natural scrape to open up.  Actually my scrapes encourage deer to setup their own scrapes. Not uncommon to have 5 or more scrapes open up within close proximity of my mock scrape. Remeber deer are a very curious animal, should use that to your advantage to entice them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Trimming lanes last Sat and there was at least two scrapes that had already opened.  Time is now.

I've actually seen scrapes in late summer n shot a buck on one many years ago opening day, in over 35 years though I've seen each once. Did find the first rubs this weekend though. What part of state are you hunting? Maybe less pressure. I hunt large areas of little hunting but they're still suspicious

3 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

That  might work for you , but i do the complete opposite. I open up scrapes where i want them to be and to attract them to my property. I also tailor my food plots to attract and feed wildlife however they are strategically situated to put the deer where i want them. With limited acreage its hard to wait for deer to make thier next move or to wait for a natural scrape to open up.  Actually my scrapes encourage deer to setup their own scrapes. Not uncommon to have 5 or more scrapes open up within close proximity of my mock scrape. Remeber deer are a very curious animal, should use that to your advantage to entice them.

I see your point. I've never been forced to limited acreage n have always waited em out. If that's what you have to do good luck. Something we've noticed is commonly the smaller garbage can sized scrapes get molded into one giant n that's normally a banger doing that. Not for sure if they initially set smaller scrapes or just took em over. If they took em over you have a point I'll however still rely on finding those spots.