Half in and half out of velvet

Buckstopshere

14 minutes ago, Buckstopshere said:

Just an old Primos. Problem is it takes or eats D batteries. I use all rechargeable and change them out every few days with that one. Or it goes dead.

Is it a black flash? I had a couple Primo's black flash models that I tried out, but ended up returning them, due to most of the night time blurred images, making the critters unrecognizable!

In the years since squirrel season has opened Sept 1 I have noticed the trend...

The first week of Sept about half the bucks I see have shed...By mid month nearly all have shed.

Just as an item of passing interest...In 1994 I hunted caribou  in NWT about 50  miles south of the Arctic Circle the first week of September...We saw literally 1000s of caribou...At the beginning of the week, most of the bulls still had velvet. At the end of the week, nearly all of them had shed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

That is the same buck in all four photos. I like the last photo. If you click on it and blow it up, you can clearly see his left G2 is bone white. I think he might be itching the velvet with his back foot, because it is falling down on his face. Looks like a clump there. 

That is cool!

• Like 1