130 yard bow shot on a running animal

Core

8 minutes ago, LJC said:

Luck it happems What's the big deal no trees no brush for arrow to deflect off and I don't no were you getting this 130 yard shot from because to me it looked like under 40 or less hard to tell 

Not to sound like a jerk, but did you watch the whole video?  And also read the title of the video?

7 minutes ago, adkhunter71 said:

Not to sound like a jerk, but did you watch the whole video?  And also read the title of the video?

On my cell phone it says 130 yard kill shot  am  I missing something hard  to tell on  my cell phone 

Its still luck 

Edited by LJC

You aren't missing anything. Tim Wells is known for extreme archery shots. He uses a compound bow with no sights and shoots fingers. Go to his YouTube channel and watch the man. Although I don't condone long range archery hunting you can't help but be extremely impressed, going off of memory here but, he kills Mulies/pronghorns at 100 +yds, a warthog at 140, baboon at 100, flying doves/ducks with his bow etc. He must have been born with some crazy hand eye coordination or something because I'm not sure you could do what he does with repetition alone...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm impressed, I wouldn't have taken the first shot but had I why not take the second one. The animal already has a arrow in it in a fatal spot why not try and hurry it along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep he should not have taken that shot in the first place and to your other comment on my post I like hunting different places  some times that was the point of that post   or i would of ask where was the best place to buy land for hunting . 

I didn't watch it but 130 yards is extreme asinine n all luck especially on a running animal. Someone one here will be tempted to try long shots this year because of stuff like this. We owe the animals n each other absolutely our best, luck should be left for the lottery. Bad shots lead to bad hits. Bad hits lead to arrows in faces, hips, legs, etc n the pics of those deer once taken on some antis lawn go viral n will only hunt us

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You aren't missing anything. Tim Wells is known for extreme archery shots. He uses a compound bow with no sights and shoots fingers. Go to his YouTube channel and watch the man. Although I don't condone long range archery hunting you can't help but be extremely impressed, going off of memory here but, he kills Mulies/pronghorns at 100 +yds, a warthog at 140, baboon at 100, flying doves/ducks with his bow etc. He must have been born with some crazy hand eye coordination or something because I'm not sure you could do what he does with repetition alone...

What he is doing  in my opinion is promoting  irresponsible archery practices that people will try and do resulting in wounding animals and giving the anty  hunters  something to bitch about .  And anyone can edit or just take footage of the hits and not any of the misses make a video and sell it to make money and make them selfs into a super star in the process.  That's this guys business is what your telling me .  

• Like 1

Because someone can do something that you can't fathom doesn't make them irresponsible. I clearly said I don't and never would condone it. That said I can't shoot and kill elk at 1200 yds, some people can. People try shooting further than they should or take shots they shouldn't every day of the season. I'm extremely impressed by Tim Wells skills but I'm smart enough to know MY limits and that's all each of us can do. You can say what you want about him but he's making a living traveling the world hunting, he must be doing something right. If you don't like it, don't watch it...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LJC said:

On my cell phone it says 130 yard kill shot  am  I missing something hard  to tell on  my cell phone 

Its still luck 

After the second arrow hits the camera man pans out and you can see that thing is very, very far away. My guess is the guy could try the same shot a hundred times again and miss every time. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it on video. Arrow was in flight for over one second with something moving quickly and has to adjust for many feet of drop as well. There's no way he could even have had a pin setup for it.

48 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You aren't missing anything. Tim Wells is known for extreme archery shots. He uses a compound bow with no sights and shoots fingers. 

@(#*! I didn't even notice that. Wow. I watched again, he is indeed shooting with fingers. And no sight? That is just incredible. Also didn't notice he doesn't use a sight.:heat:

I agree after the first arrow hit there's no harm in trying to shoot a second. Shooting the first at 40 yards (?) while running is something 99.9% of archers should never try, but maybe he really is that good that a shot like that to him is like a 20-30 yard standing still to many of us. The first one did almost take it out.

Well I just watched a vid of him shooting doves out of the sky with a bow. And not one, but multiple ones, so you can trust he wasn't sending a thousand arrows and only showing on film the single one that hit (though I'm sure he did miss a bit). It seems to me that maybe the first shot on the moving game wasn't as unethical as it would appear at first glance. For anybody reading this thread it probably would be, but that guy looks inhuman.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Because someone can do something that you can't fathom doesn't make them irresponsible. I clearly said I don't and never would condone it. That said I can't shoot and kill elk at 1200 yds, some people can. People try shooting further than they should or take shots they shouldn't every day of the season. I'm extremely impressed by Tim Wells skills but I'm smart enough to know MY limits and that's all each of us can do. You can say what you want about him but he's making a living traveling the world hunting, he must be doing something right. If you don't like it, don't watch it...

Yea,he is doing something right he is a good shot I'm sure and good at making hunting videos  and promoting them  but lots of us are good shots  I can hit 100 yard target to if I set up my bow for it  but the arc of the arrow would make it worthless in hunting in the woods with trees and branches around chances are something will get in the way.  Besides that you have to be exactly right or your arrow is  going high or low by feet plus there is a good chance the animal will move by the time the arrow gets there all things they  tell you when you take a archery safty hunting course .

But people will see his videos and try this anyway .

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Chris I understand your sentiment but what's irresponsible about it is some young hunter may think if Tim can do it he can. TV as stated is full of edits. How else if you could make 130 yard running shots, would you practice that on live game besides wounding a bunch on the way to the expertise if such expertise even existed? This is what's irresponsible. I've seen guys shoot long range n no one can always be perfect especially not in an adrenaline moment. All guys are affected differently but this but it's never a best case scenario. Look to nj w the crossbow craze. The president of my gun club just Monday wanted to sight in the crossbow for 50 yards cause he's positive it'll work that far. It may if hit properly but I've never even heard of him shooting a deer. He's a small game guy w no deer experience. The hype about long range shots has him ready to sight in n let arrows fly. Not fair to the deer or us. Has zero to do w guys not being able to fathom a lucky shot. Has everything to do w guys fathoming the inevitable wounding losses 

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

Chris I understand your sentiment but what's irresponsible about it is some young hunter may think if Tim can do it he can. TV as stated is full of edits. How else if you could make 130 yard running shots would you practice that on live game besides wounding a bunch on the way to the expertise if such expertise even existed? This is what's irresponsible. I've seen guys shoot long range n no one can always be perfect especially not in an adrenaline moment. All guys are affected differently but this but it's never a best case scenario. Look to nj w the crossbow craze. The president of my gun club just Monday wanted to sight in the crossbow for 50 yards cause he's positive it'll work that far. It may if hit properly but I've never even heard of him shooting a deer. He's a small game guy w no deer experience. The hype about long range shots has him ready to sight in n let arrows fly. Not fair to the deer or us. Has zero to do w guys not being able to fathom a lucky shot. Has everything to do w guys fathoming the inevitable wounding losses 

I'd be willing to bet more deer are wounded or lost from shots under 30yds... Well within most people's effective range. 25 years ago people would baulk at someone killing a deer at 50 yds, now it's fairly common. Times change, equipment changes. Tim Wells has demonstrated time and time again that he is capable of making these shots. Has he lost a few animals? I'm sure, same as everyone else that's pulled the trigger often enough. To watch someone do it on TV then assume you can do the same is a ridiculous notion. That's not the guy on TV's fault, that's on you for not knowing your limitations and being capable of self restraint..
  • Like 2

I don't think we should really debate the merits of shooting at running game at 130 yards. We know it's crazy, I'm sure this guy did know that as well, but as pointed out above he had already hit the thing, so there was nothing unethical about a hail mary at long range to help put it down instead of it going off somewhere and dying from an infection. A lot of the shot was still luck, but it's crazy nonetheless, like the videos on youtube of guys throwing baskets from the top of the bleachers.

To me the more debatable shot is taking one at running game at 40. I would have said that is downright irresponsible and it absolutely is for virtually all bowhunters, but if this guy really is as good as he seems to be it may not have been that crazy after all. If he can hit flying doves with some half decent consistency, a massive target like a deer's vitals doesn't seem so tricky in the end.

Case in point the comment about 50 yard crossbow. For a beginner with no bow experience at all that is certainly too far, but in the hands of an expert a 50 yard crossbow is pretty reasonable. 

23 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'd be willing to bet more deer are wounded or lost from shots under 30yds... Well within most people's effective range. 25 years ago people would baulk at someone killing a deer at 50 yds, now it's fairly common. Times change, equipment changes. Tim Wells has demonstrated time and time again that he is capable of making these shots. Has he lost a few animals? I'm sure, same as everyone else that's pulled the trigger often enough. To watch someone do it on TV then assume you can do the same is a ridiculous notion. That's not the guy on TV's fault, that's on you for not knowing your limitations and being capable of self restraint..

It's tv how do we even no this guy is even a supper good shot why is he not in the Olympics if he is so good ?  He is just a guy making hunting videos that figured out if  he throws a arrow really far and manages to kill something once in awhile and catch it on film people will buy his videos and any other crap he is selling .  His is a douche if you want to no the truth your hunting  real animals it's not a game you should take lightly and do half ass shots  flinging arrows hopping you get that hole in one shot on film  you think this guy going to show the ones that got away with a arrow in the ass I don't think so 

• Like 1

It's tv how do we even no this guy is even a supper good shot why is he not in the Olympics if he is so good ?  He is just a guy making hunting videos that figured out if  he throws a arrow really far and manages to kill something once in awhile and catch it on film people will buy his videos and any other crap he is selling .  His is a douche if you want to no the truth your hunting  real animals it's not a game you should take lightly and do half ass shots  flinging arrows hopping you get that hole in one shot on film  you think this guy going to show the ones that got away with a arrow in the ass I don't think so 

So anyone that excels at things you can't is a "douche". That sounds about right. I guess I'd be a douche to you then also. I know how to spell and use punctuation.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, chrisw said:

So anyone that excels at things you can't is a "douche". That sounds about right. I guess I'd be a douche to you then also. I know how to spell and use punctuation.

If you can't figure out why this guy is douche.  You should not be bow hunting or don't no anything about archery that's all I'm going to tell you . Hunting is not golf 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Id bet you're way right no one shoots 130 yards so it's pretty obvious more are wounded., yes we need to know our limitations but showing it is promoting it. Again how did he practice this?

47 minutes ago, Core said:

I don't think we should really debate the merits of shooting at running game at 130 yards. We know it's crazy, I'm sure this guy did know that as well, but as pointed out above he had already hit the thing, so there was nothing unethical about a hail mary at long range to help put it down instead of it going off somewhere and dying from an infection. A lot of the shot was still luck, but it's crazy nonetheless, like the videos on youtube of guys throwing baskets from the top of the bleachers.

To me the more debatable shot is taking one at running game at 40. I would have said that is downright irresponsible and it absolutely is for virtually all bowhunters, but if this guy really is as good as he seems to be it may not have been that crazy after all. If he can hit flying doves with some half decent consistency, a massive target like a deer's vitals doesn't seem so tricky in the end.

Case in point the comment about 50 yard crossbow. For a beginner with no bow experience at all that is certainly too far, but in the hands of an expert a 50 yard crossbow is pretty reasonable. 

No one should be shooting 40 running either. It's not about what's more evil. 50 yards is too long even w a crossbow. They shed velocity quickly n wind, drop etc all comes into play. Yes off a solid rest they are certainly more accurate but in the woods Theres vines limbs etc. It's possible but Id not advise this

16 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

No one should be shooting 40 running either. It's not about what's more evil. 50 yards is too long even w a crossbow. They shed velocity quickly n wind, drop etc all comes into play. Yes off a solid rest they are certainly more accurate but in the woods Theres vines limbs etc. It's possible but Id not advise this

The next guy  who wants to get into the tv hunting video business will now have  to  film a video at even farther distances to get famous. And new guys getting into archery are going to just because they think is easy no big deal  to take 100 yard  plus shots at deer  with a bow . When really 20 30 yards  is all you should be doing for the most part.  And Alot of guys have trouble at that distance. :) 

• Like 1