130 yard bow shot on a running animal

Core

There is NO need to take a 130 yd shot, if he is half the hunter he is praised to be by folks on this thread he should have setup a closer shot. Can I shoot a deer at 650 yds yes but, I wouldn't make a habbit of it and most of my shots even with my rifle have been under 100yds a sure kill dropped in their tracks. With a bow 40yds and again I wait for the deer to get within that range or closer.

1 hour ago, Big John said:

There is NO need to take a 130 yd shot, if he is half the hunter he is praised to be by folks on this thread he should have setup a closer shot. Can I shoot a deer at 650 yds yes but, I wouldn't make a habbit of it and most of my shots even with my rifle have been under 100yds a sure kill dropped in their tracks. With a bow 40yds and again I wait for the deer to get within that range or closer.

yeah, I kind of agree with that......why he does it, I have no idea.....but to me and a lot of others, bowhunting is about getting the game in close, there is no better adrenaline rush then watching an animal work its way within range, at least to me anyway. That's great for entertainment for some, but just doesn't do it for me.

1 hour ago, Big John said:

...if he is half the hunter he is praised to be by folks on this thread he should have setup a closer shot.

With a bow 40yds and again I wait for the deer to get within that range or closer.

Geeze... 40yds is a long poke with a bow to me.

Maybe if you were half the hunter that I am you would set up differently and wait till they're within 20yds.:biggrin:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Big John said:

I'm starting to think there are still people in this thread who haven't watched the video. He crept within actual spitting distance of this thing initially.

• Like 2

Not trying to work anyone up now, but if you want to look at some really ridiculous shooting there are a bunch more tim wells vids on youtube, including some where he hits geese multiple times while flying at a pretty decent distance. If these were not on video and he wasn't a well known guy I would just think it's all made up. I've seen some other archer shooting pennies in front of him but I figured he had practiced the shot a million times.

And no matter how may times I see this sort of thing, I'll never get good enough to take a bow shot at a running deer.

Edited by Core

The guy is a ridiculously good shot.  That said, the 130 yard hog shot look like the arrow hit too far back to be humane.  The description in the video stated that he had to run the hog down and dispatch it with a second shot.

As far as the geese.  Only one of the hits bought down a goose and I'm not even sure if that goose died as a result of the hit.  It landed fine.

Don't get me wrong.  The guy is ridiculously good and I'm sure he can take deer with proper broadheads pretty far out but these 2 videos aren't very convincing as far as it being humane.

21 hours ago, wooly said:

Geeze... 40yds is a long poke with a bow to me.

Maybe if you were half the hunter that I am you would set up differently and wait till they're within 20yds.:biggrin:

Well I am shooting 70 lbs @ 325, and 40 yards is my max. I have yet to have taken a shot beyond 25.