Lighted Nocks!

Core

These aren't legal in all states, but they are in NY. Playing with one this weekend, it was really nifty. Just fun to shoot, like a laser, and should assist in knowing where an arrow struck. I plan on buying more.

These add at least 20 grains to the back of the arrow, changing its balance point. Have people noticed this changes impact much (not talking about just the weight increase)? If so, one idea is to go with a lighter arrow, put the heavier lighted nock on, then a 125 grain point so that the FOC is unchanged.

I'm also thinking if I can get the weights right I could probably have lighted nocks on a few arrows and have my practice arrows a heavier GPI so that the total weight of both is about the same. For example I have some 8.0 GPI arrows that, when terminated with Nocturnals, weigh precisely the same as my 8.7 GPI standard-nocked arrows. 

Hey Core, I purchased one lighted nock last year. I didn't notice a change in POI when I was practicing with that one arrow compared to the others but I can only shoot about 25 yds in my yard. I was at Dicks about a month ago wandering around and I noticed they had three packs of red nocturnals for $9.99. I was thinking, wow they sure came down in price. When I went to the register they rang up $24.99 each or something like that. I took the guy back to the peg where they were $9.99 and they sold them to me for that. I wished I grabbed the whole row but at least I have enough for a bakers dozen now. When I shot my buck last year it was awesome watching the arrows flight. I couldn't find the arrow though. Must have been excitement because my buddy found it right in the middle of the trail. Good luck with them, they are really cool....

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Hey Core, I purchased one lighted nock last year. I didn't notice a change in POI when I was practicing with that one arrow compared to the others but I can only shoot about 25 yds in my yard. I was at Dicks about a month ago wandering around and I noticed they had three packs of red nocturnals for $9.99. I was thinking, wow they sure came down in price. When I went to the register they rang up $24.99 each or something like that. I took the guy back to the peg where they were $9.99 and they sold them to me for that. I wished I grabbed the whole row but at least I have enough for a bakers dozen now. When I shot my buck last year it was awesome watching the arrows flight. I couldn't find the arrow though. Must have been excitement because my buddy found it right in the middle of the trail. Good luck with them, they are really cool....

Field & Stream right now has one pack at that price, but it's a weird size or something. I had to pay $25 for 3 more at lunch. They are $20 on amazon, but I'm concerned about them potentially being old stock.

Also found some tips online, other guys will add weights to their standard nocks in the form of glued in nails or similar so that they can match the weight. I've run numbers on a calculator and the extra 20 grains may not cause more than an inch or so POI difference up to 30 yards. Still, I would prefer to have pins dialed in for that.

Field & Stream right now has one pack at that price, but it's a weird size or something. I had to pay $25 for 3 more at lunch. They are $20 on amazon, but I'm concerned about them potentially being old stock.

Also found some tips online, other guys will add weights to their standard nocks in the form of glued in nails or similar so that they can match the weight. I've run numbers on a calculator and the extra 20 grains may not cause more than an inch or so POI difference up to 30 yards. Still, I would prefer to have pins dialed in for that.

I just went through this and scratched the idea. I'm shooting great with out them and way off with them and it won't fix... Going to the 125 head would probably do the trick but my bow is so dead on I don't want to mess with it.... I was shooting them 4 inches left and 4 inches low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

I just went through this and scratched the idea. I'm shooting great with out them and way off with them and it won't fix... Going to the 125 head would probably do the trick but my bow is so dead on I don't want to mess with it.... I was shooting them 4 inches left and 4 inches low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah if I notice any weird flight issues these will not be going anywhere with me...taking them out today at distance, hopefully I can make them work. I did find that taking my old nocks, putting three BBs in them, and holding in with a bit of epoxy makes my old nocks weigh 1.6-1.7 grams compared to these being 1.5 grams. That's a 2 grain difference which I'm positive I won't notice on the range in a 400 grain arrow. However, the center of gravity is back about a centimeter or so I think, which is a decent bit.

I never noticed any flight difference using lighted nocks until this year with my new set up. Without them I shoot groups out to 60 the size of a baseball with my fixed heads and field points. With the the lighted nocks there's definitely some drop after 40. Inside 40 yards I have no problem using them, hunting in the woods most shots come under 35 anyway. 

On 9/19/2016 at 9:53 AM, Core said:

These aren't legal in all states, but they are in NY. Playing with one this weekend, it was really nifty. Just fun to shoot, like a laser, and should assist in knowing where an arrow struck. I plan on buying more.

These add at least 20 grains to the back of the arrow, changing its balance point. Have people noticed this changes impact much (not talking about just the weight increase)? If so, one idea is to go with a lighter arrow, put the heavier lighted nock on, then a 125 grain point so that the FOC is unchanged.

I'm also thinking if I can get the weights right I could probably have lighted nocks on a few arrows and have my practice arrows a heavier GPI so that the total weight of both is about the same. For example I have some 8.0 GPI arrows that, when terminated with Nocturnals, weigh precisely the same as my 8.7 GPI standard-nocked arrows. 

I just buy enough to use with my practice and my hunting arrows. Once the batteries are shot in the hunting arrows I just us the old dead ones for practice. I also haven't noticed a difference in POI with or without the lighted nocks.

Changing your GPI will throw off your shots. That higher GPI is going to be a stiffer arrow and could cause it to fly differently causing POI to change. You're better off throwing a couple down range with the nock then a couple without and see if it makes a difference.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

Finally got a chance to shoot a bunch of these today.

29" arrows, some 8.7 gpi (350 spine), some 8.0 (400 spine) with lighted nocks. Total weight on all is 25.6 grams across the board, shooting 58 lbs.

My lighted nocks were hitting noticeably higher than my other arrows @ 50 yards, even though the others have the exact same weight. I thought it must be the center of gravity further backward on the lighted, but now I am thinking it was probably just the weaker spine causing this issue. Tomorrow I'll use the same 350 spine arrows and expect to see the lighted hit a touch lower at 50 yards. That's fine. What I really can't tolerate will be if the grouping opens up. Hopefully it won't, though.

I was hella sad to see one of my four nocturnals is already broken! Stupid thing won't stay on properly. I have the receipt may bring it back, that's too early to die.

I suppose I can conclude these are hitting the same. I still want to say the lighted are hitting very slightly higher than my regular ones and if so I am blaming it on the very stiff string hook up on my regulars stealing a bit of speed from the arrow. But, in a couple pics (not posted here) in which I compared weighted nock (3 BBs glued into it) with lighted it was hard to determine a real difference in POI. Anyway, at most it's only noticeable at beyond-hunting ranges.

So, here we go. The second picture with the four on top of each other was the tightest four arrows I've ever shot at 50 yards (if we ignore the flyer to the left, that is).That's within 1.5" group on those four. But, that was cherry picked. None of the other groups looked that nice!

lighted1.png

lighted2.png

I have not had an issue yet. I bought the tracers when they were big like 6 or 8 or more years ago lol. Activated by magnet. I still have them and they have yet to fail me (knock on wood) testing them this weekend. The arrows flew the same as they do with regular nocks. If they fail i will be using nocturnals. Wife has them and shoot well.