New camp, question

Chef

So I closed on the new camp on Friday, and it's great jmp500 and I did a bunch of scouting. There is sign every where! Tracks in the mud poop river crossings everything, but we are yet to see a deer during legal light. I wonder if you guys think it's just from the warm temps or if they are only using my land at night? We saw over 20 sets of eyes when hanging stands Friday night... Either way I love this place and I'm sure it will explode during the rut! I've. Never seen so much sign in one place in my entire life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

So I closed on the new camp on Friday, and it's great jmp500 and I did a bunch of scouting. There is sign every where! Tracks in the mud poop river crossings everything, but we are yet to see a deer during legal light. I wonder if you guys think it's just from the warm temps or if they are only using my land at night? We saw over 20 sets of eyes when hanging stands Friday night... Either way I love this place and I'm sure it will explode during the rut! I've. Never seen so much sign in one place in my entire life

The more time you spend in there the more info you will get. Set some cams if you have/use them. I am sure no need to mention this but the direction of tracks should help you figure out a few things as well. Unless is like looking at a county fair after a rain storm.

• Like 2

The more time you spend in there the more info you will get. Set some cams if you have/use them. I am sure no need to mention this but the direction of tracks should help you figure out a few things as well. Unless is like looking at a county fair after a rain storm.

Cams are out as of this afternoon, the tracks are very hard to figure out I've really never seen so many before, and they are heading both directions down the same trail. In numerous places. I know this is a good problem to have and I'm really guessing it's the warm temps but who knows... I won't be able to come back for two weeks because of my cousins wedding... But we shall see. Some nerve they have getting married during the season

• Like 1

I agree with law. It will take you a few years to get a handle on what's going on there. Cameras will be your best friend. Buy a lot of them and run them year round. Good for keeping a eye on the land while your not around.

Is your property all woods, or does it have some open field type areas? There's a lot of things you can do to a property to make it more attractive to deer. Google articles on land management for white tails. You'll find lots of good info that will really improve your success.

If you have as many tracks as you say there might not be a real steady pattern there. That's easy to figure out. Which might be good the deer feel safe enough to roam about.  Try real hard to pay attention to you entry and exit.  That might help give it some time.  30 seconds can change a whole season.

Well 2 guys hung stands Friday night, 2 guys hunted Saturday morning and 2 guys hunted Saturday night. That's a lot of pressure on a 25 acre piece especially when there hasn't been much human pressure.

That's more pressure than I put on 100 acres in a month. I understand that you have to do with what you have but as long as you are hunting just weekends I will bet you see the most deer Saturday mornings.

Think he just shot one this morning....there goes that theory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That I did!!! It's been a real crazy day and I will take the time and post a full story later but I found a huge draw that is one of very few easy creek crossings with in a quarter mile and set up off the trail and 50 yards up hill from the draw.... They were there this morning 30 seconds before legal shooting time! Couldn't have asked for more...

• Like 2