Youth

njg0621

2 hours ago, cnymuzguy said:

Yes, the new "take my kid hunting so I can kill a deer and let them tag it" season. Teach a kid to shoot some squirrels in the head, jump shoot rabbits, wing shoot grouse and woodcock, or become proficient at turkey or waterfowl hunting. Learn about all game, their habits, and the weapons used on them. Not just the "sexy" game like deer. I guess it's not the same being proud of bagging a limit of small game for your family, as it is killing a deer. I'm sure there are some kids and parents that enjoy all hunting, but don't think it's the majority. Those that do will be the lifelong hunters and conservationist.  I rarely see pictures of parents and kids after a successful rabbit or squirrel hunt on this forum or in the newpaper. Also, I've heard a fair amount of "locker room" talk about "sticking it to the bow guys" with an "early start" on gun season. Sad to say, many adults only pick up a weapon once a year, and that's deer gun season. I don't see this youth season  as a bridge to lifelong hunting (other than deer) for most kids. JMO.

Why do you think someone would tag a kids deer? I don't know anyone who would. I don't carry a gun n never load a bow when I take kids. Even if they miss I'm not shooting. The bow is there only as a second shot at wounded game. I've never needed it. Same w turks, never do I shoot even in an open season if I have even a newbie never mind a kid

I'm more of a glass half full kinda guy....I'm all for getting them out at an early age to experience it then let them make up their own mind.

I'm with you, if you can get a young teen in the woods and get them to experience the woods waking up that's an experience they will never forget. Who cares if they are going to love it or not. My wife has hunted for 12 years and never pulled the trigger and I don't think she ever will. She just enjoys being in the woods.

I highly doubt my daughter will be a lifelong hunter she just didn't have the drive and desire that I do but I still ask her if she wants to tag along or go shoot squirrels with me everyday during season. If she says yes 3 or 4 times a year they are my 3 or 4 best days of the year. I just hope she feels the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How times have changed. Back when I was turned onto hunting, I did it because I had a real interest in it. I cut my teeth on small game until I was old enough to play the big leagues. Today we have to whine at kids and create special opportunities, and give them unrealistic attitudes and hunting conditions just to get them off the couch and away from their electronic gadgets.

I know that my introduction to deer hunting included the camaraderie of all the hunting community, the uncles and friends and brothers and neighbors, where I was also introduced to the hunting camp mentality that introduced the youth of the day to the entire hunting experience. Nobody had to do anything special created to involve myself and all my friends into what was then a natural activity.

I have no idea whether all this creation of fantasy hunting conditions is the right way to go, but as I said, times have changed. An activity that kids used to rabidly look forward to in years gone by, now perhaps does actually require cajoling, fakery, and creation of unrealistic versions of what hunting will consist of when they reach the magic age of adulthood. Is it the magic bullet that will re-kindle universal attitude change in our youth toward a lifetime of hunting? I have my doubts, but then I'm no expert either. At times I think we are trying to keep hunting alive without understanding and recognizing and encouraging the cultural forces that made hunting work as viable and natural activity in the past.

I don't think these youth seasons were designed to cater to the young hunters in any way the way some of you are making it sound.

Lets face it, when most guys head off to camp for the week, or run out back for a quicky hunt after work, the last thing he's thinking about is dragging the kids or newbie along to impose on his precious "hardcore deer/turkey hunting time".

By designating a few days exclusively for youth hunters actually puts a fire under some guys azz to actually get his, or someone elses kids involved even if it means he has to hang up his own weapon for a day or two.

There's always gonna be guys that have no interest or access to a youth to mentor, and that's ok, but I think these special seasons give the guys who actually do have one available, some extra incentive to introduce them to the pastime they may never have the opportunity for with many of todays adult hunters with that "MY season"... not enough time mentality

You can't blame the kids for sitting around playing on their electronic gadgets from dusk till dawn if you're not making any attempt to give them other options when we run off to the stands and blinds from dark to dark. The problem isn't that the youngsters aren't interested in hunting, rather more likely that todays hunters are the issue by not having the patience or desire to dedicate a day or few of there 3 month seasons to get them off the couch to allow them to be part of the experience that may last a lifetime.

I'm sure there are some older guys here who enjoy those same modern day electronics just as much as the kiddos do, but you'd have no idea how to use them damn things if some young punk didn't take the time to teach your ancient azzes,lol

It works both ways, and I applaud the many hunters that take the time to be active in what I consider a fine recruiting tool in these "special hunts".

IMO- nothing will motivate a new hunter to learn more about the sport like seeing results even if that means they get the "best" days of the season.

A quick look around this site makes it easy to see there's still no guarantees of success, but plenty of our members keep it up year after year and the kids keep tagging along.

I don't think that happens if they weren't enjoying the time with their mentors in the woods.

• Like 5

It is an interesting dilemma when it comes to trying to force an interest that a kid hasn't already developed. When you have to resort to special incentives, gimmicks, and tricks, I truly have to question the "staying-power" of the results. The most successful recruitment programs to me are not those that consist of a couple of days out of the year. The recruitment of my two sons came from a year around interest in all things outdoors. Camping, hiking, and just a constant barrage of all outdoor and nature inspired activity right through all of their childhood. Their rabid dedication and fanatic interest that even exceeds my own did not come from some trick creation and softened up representation of what hunting is all about. I must say that it didn't even come from the kills or successes. They were already heavily addicted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor pursuits before they were ever old enough to participate. There was no cajoling or nagging required to get them off the couch. It all came about as a natural outgrowth of a whole lifetime of all kinds of outdoor adventures. It was a total outdoor family culture that made hunting enthusiasm a natural lifetime activity.

There is no special hunt that will create enthusiasm when the child's only exposure to nature is the sun coming through the window onto the couch. It is a lifestyle that is part of their upbringing. There is too much thinking today that the only parental effort to create interest in hunting is a few days of a special hunt. Along with other family oriented activities, hunting is also succumbing to the age of shortcuts and quick fixes. Raising a hunter is a lifetime activity not just relegated to a few days of concocted mis-representation of what hunting is all about.

A special season is a great additional entertainment for a kid that was likely already going to be a hunter anyway. But I would be careful about expecting that one activity to create a hunter where there wasn't already one developed and waiting from a lifetime of outdoor activity and enthusiasm.

• Like 1