Tikka or Vanguard

chas0218

Which gun and caliber?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Caliber for elk, mulies, and/or whitetail.

• 25-06
  2. 2. Which rifle?

• Tikka T3x Stainless lite
    • Weatherby Vanguard Series 2

Ok so I am throwing around the idea of a .308 or 25-06 in the Tikka T3X stainless lite or the Vanguard series 2. From what I have read they both utilize the howa action fitted with the weatherby or sako barrels. What are your recommendations for caliber and brand. I already own a Tikka and love it but I haven't owned a Weatherby but with the name I wouldn't be afraid of buying one. I won't buy a Remington or Savage so don't recommend one unless you know of a used older Remington before they went to crap.

I'm leaning towards a .308 because there is such a wide variety of bullet options as I like to reload and try different things.

Where did you read that they both use Howa actions?  I don't think that is the case.  I know Weatherby does, but Tikka looks to be a completely different action.

I've always liked the Howa/Weatherby guns.  I'd bet they weigh a bit more than Tikka's, but they are nice guns nonetheless.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Where did you read that they both use Howa actions?  I don't think that is the case.  I know Weatherby does, but Tikka looks to be a completely different action.

I've always liked the Howa/Weatherby guns.  I'd bet they weigh a bit more than Tikka's, but they are nice guns nonetheless.

Maybe they don't I did talk to a remington rep last year and he said the same thing as you. Maybe it was their early production T3 but either way I really like the action on the Tikka.

Edited by chas0218

havent shot a t3 but i have a vanguard 1 in .22-250 and mark v in .300 wby ultra mag they are amazing rifles.  action is smooth as butter.  vanguard 2 will likely be my next purchase in .243 for my fiance.  i would do a .308 over .25-06 any day due to availability.  doubt i would chase elk tho with a .308 not saying that it isn't a sufficient round but elk are a tough animal and id personally want a little more knock down power. 

Edited by bisceglia

For a deer cartridge, either  chambering is fine.  The 25-06 is on the light side for elk. With elk in the mix I would go with the .308.  The heaviest readily available bullet weight for the .25 is 120 grains.  While it will (and has) certainly kill elk with good shot placement, I would prefer a heavier bullet.  The .308 with a well constructed 165 or 180 grain bullet would be a good choice.

Weatherby Vanguards used to be made by Howa...I do not know if that is still the case.

I never have had experience with the Tikka, but have heard good things about them. The Finns make good rifles.

• Like 1

So If I dropped elk off the list and used my .270 or 30-06 would you guys be more inclined to get the 25-06 or still stick with the .308? My father has a Remington .308 VTR cool gun but not my cup of tea. The .308 is a heck of a round and like mentioned readily available at any place that sells ammo, even walmart has it. I like the ballistics of the 25-06 but I think I would be able to get close to those same ballistics having such a large bullet variety for the .308.

The 25-06  is an excellent long range varmint cartridge and a very good deer and antelope cartridge.

One DISADVANTAGE of the 25 ought is the fact that it is an overbore cartridge, and performs best with slow burning powders and longish barrels in order to achieve it's peak velocities and trajectory.  Any barrel shorter than 24" and it becomes basically a loud .257 Roberts.  In order to get optimum performance you end up with a rifle that is longer and heavier than many of us like.

It is at its best in longer barreled "bean field" type rifles.

The .308 performs well in 20" and 22" barrels, and has a shorter action, resulting in a shorter, handier, lighter rifle.

It's not as flashy ( both literally and figuratively)  but with proper loads it shoots plenty flat enough for 400 yard shots, and will pretty much do anything a .270 or 30-06 will do, which is hardly faint praise. It is probably one of the very best all around cartridges.

• Like 1

The 25-06  is an excellent long range varmint cartridge and a very good deer and antelope cartridge.

One DISADVANTAGE of the 25 ought is the fact that it is an overbore cartridge, and performs best with slow burning powders and longish barrels in order to achieve it's peak velocities and trajectory.  Any barrel shorter than 24" and it becomes basically a loud .257 Roberts.  In order to get optimum performance you end up with a rifle that is longer and heavier than many of us like.

It is at its best in longer barreled "bean field" type rifles.

The .308 performs well in 20" and 22" barrels, and has a shorter action, resulting in a shorter, handier, lighter rifle.

It's not as flashy ( both literally and figuratively)  but with proper loads it shoots plenty flat enough for 400 yard shots, and will pretty much do anything a .270 or 30-06 will do, which is hardly faint praise. It is probably one of the very best all around cartridges.

Jesus Pyg your killing me with this long barrel talk, I just threw up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you have a 270 and an 06 why not try something different? A 308 will do nothing a 270 or 06 will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my 06 and .270 but I was thinking the .308 would be a fun long range shooter and I can play with the loads a little more. The .308 has quite a bit more energy than the .270 downrange and the 06 I have is pretty picky with which bullets it wants to shoot and for some reason it isn't super accurate out past 200 yards. It shoots 2" groups at 200 yards, not horrible but I like them closer.

Edited by chas0218

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Ok so I am throwing around the idea of a .308 or 25-06 in the Tikka T3X stainless lite or the Vanguard series 2. From what I have read they both utilize the howa action fitted with the weatherby or sako barrels. What are your recommendations for caliber and brand. I already own a Tikka and love it but I haven't owned a Weatherby but with the name I wouldn't be afraid of buying one. I won't buy a Remington or Savage so don't recommend one unless you know of a used older Remington before they went to crap.

I'm leaning towards a .308 because there is such a wide variety of bullet options as I like to reload and try different things.

The weatherby which I own one  you cant go wrong .

But I like the lighter guns to .

Either one is good  3006  better then .308 my opinion even more ammo to select. 

My favorite for long range hunting is 257 weatherby magnum  .

If you don't care about ammo costs or finding the stuff .

it's the one I like over every thing else .

Get one and you will not want to shoot anything else in open country 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LJC said:

The weatherby which I own one  you cant go wrong .

But I like the lighter guns to .

Either one is good  3006  better then .308 my opinion even more ammo to select. 

My favorite for long range hunting is 257 weatherby magnum  .

If you don't care about ammo costs or finding the stuff .

it's the one I like over every thing else .

Get one and you will not want to shoot anything else in open country 

One of the reasons why I wanted .308 was availability of ammo and price. I could reload the weatherby mag cheaper than I could buy it that is for sure but I was planning on using my dad's match grade dies he already had for his .308.

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

One of the reasons why I wanted .308 was availability of ammo and price. I could reload the weatherby mag cheaper than I could buy it that is for sure but I was planning on using my dad's match grade dies he already had for his .308.

Then go with that I guess since you have the dies 

Or just step it up to 257 weatherby mag 

Still 3006 always good to have .

Like most people here you will probably going to get more then one cal if you haven't all ready . Eventually

Your probably going to gravitate to something like the  257 Weatherby Magnum if you're really into shooting and hand loading  I can guarantee you that. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I vote against anything weatherby just to frustrate Biz.  Tikka it is.  In all seriousness, both Sakos I have owned are extremely accurate guns and if the Tikka is anything like those, it will be hard to beat.

My current Tikka .270 will clover leaf at 100 yards, it is sub moa but I figured I would throw out the weatherby because I haven't heard anything bad about them. I'm not sure if I like the Japanese made action, not sure how hard it would be to get parts. I have heard the howa 1500 rifles shoot nice but it is very difficult to get parts if needed.

Edited by chas0218

Browning makes most of their guns in Japan.  Weatherby used to make the Mark V in Japan also.  If anything, I would think quality control is considerably better in Japan than in the US.  I know I will piss many people off by saying this, but I also believe Japanese designed cars are better than American, so being made in Japan would certainly not turn me away from the product.

• Like 2