New CVA Accura MR and powder

chiefbkt

Does anyone use the IMR white hot pellets in their .50 cal? I have a new CVA Accura MR with the Bergara barrel and bought the white hot pellets for it. The guy at the gun counter suggested I don't use 150 grains cause they burn hotter and it could potentially cause harm to myself or the gun. However, in the CVA owners manual they recommend the white hots and say the gun is fully capable of handling the magnum charge. Just curious if anyone uses these pellets, has this gun, and if they have any issues or recommendations for it.

I wouldn't use white hots to a wood stove! They are the dirtiest most inconsistent pellet I have ever used! They leave a wicked bad burn ring.

I use blackhorn 209 you will need to get the breech plug for it but it's well worth it, trust me you will thank me!

I own the same gun and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The box of pellets I have has a panelist in it . It tells about the powder and says they never recommend more then 2 50 grain pellets. 100 grains tops even though some companies say there guns can Handel 150 grains. Even the magnum loads some guys think are 75 grains are only 50. Paper explains they are only taller because of extra chemicals add to make burn faster and hotter. I figure they guys who make the powder are the ones to listen to. I'm go to 280 yards with 100 grains so never felt the need to try more anyways.

Another example of why not to listen to any advice from the sales people behind the counter at big-box sporting goods stores, if this is the case here.

Wasn't this 3 pellet/150gr hysteria created years ago by those TV hunting shows sponsored by T/C featuring one of the company's spokesmen/hunter? Solely for T/C product endorsement & advertising hype! Who shoots big game over 250+yrds with a ML, esp in NYS? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see the only advantage of using 150gr of BP pellets in a modern in-line ML would be for improved ballistics beyond 100yrds with those cannonball sabots/conicals in the 325-400gr weight range.

FYI - 777 magnum loads are listed as 60gr equivalent/pellet. Whether it is added chemicals or more BP, I'm not sure. They're designed to act as propellants to enhance burn rate, blah, blah... so if it is strictly an additive, I'm assuming it might be a sort of a synthetic BP substitute, aka Pyrodex.

Edited by nyslowhand

Another example of why not to listen to any advice from the sales people behind the counter at big-box sporting goods stores, if this is the case here.
Wasn't this 3 pellet/150gr hysteria created years ago by those TV hunting shows sponsored by T/C featuring one of the company's spokesmen/hunter? Solely for T/C product endorsement & advertising hype! Who shoots big game over 250+yrds with a ML, esp in NYS? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see the only advantage of using 150gr of BP pellets in a modern in-line ML would be for improved ballistics beyond 100yrds with those cannonball sabots/conicals in the 325-400gr weight range.
FYI - 777 magnum loads are listed as 60gr equivalent/pellet. Whether it is added chemicals or more BP, I'm not sure. They're designed to act as propellants to enhance burn rate, blah, blah... so if it is strictly an additive, I'm assuming it might be a sort of a synthetic BP substitute, aka Pyrodex.

I would shoot a deer with my muzzleloader at 300yds without question. But I don't shoot pellets because I want consistency in my loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to give the white hots a shot since I already purchased them. I never anticipated on shooting 3 pellets but was curious to see if anyone has. I'm switching from a .45 cal to .50 and haven't really used my muzzleloader since I moved to the southern tier and bought my Savage 220 slug gun. Just for clarification and to avoid speculation, I don't use my slug gun during the bow/muzzleloader season. Anyhow, I've never been a huge muzzleloader guy. Always shot a CVA .45 and have used various components throughout the years. Mainly had it for when I lived up north so I could take advantage of the early ML season there. Now to determine the projectile...