Yote Hunting At Night

Anyone on here do this?

Can't sleep right now, so of course, my dog has to go out every 15 minutes because living out here she hears the yipping and yapping of the coyotes once in a while and gets to curious. So, as I am standing out there with her, I thought about if anyone hunts them at night. I tried it once a long time ago with a buddy to no success. 

Tried it for the first time last year and was instantly hooked on night hunting.  The woods just come alive with all kinds of critters!  Although I didn't bag a yote and missed chances on a couple of grey foxes, those dudes better watch out this time because I learned from my mistakes.

I'm a diehard predator hunter. I hunt them 95% of the time at night. They have a nose that rivals a deer(or even better) so wind direction is the most important factor. Coyotes will try to circle downwind of the call probably 85% of the time so you must scan the whole time on stand.

• Like 1

I went out last night. 2 sets, had yotes calling but no takers. I did racoon hunting in my high school years. It's a whole different world in the woods at night. The things I hear are amazing. I ran into a DEC rep at 9pm at night on back woods. She was checkeing the land because of the college kids walking thru it as a short cut to town. I'm off tomorrow and may go back out tonight for a while. I just got 2 books written by Andrew L. Lewand.  He started Bark At The Moon web site. Go there, tons of knowledge.

27 minutes ago, martin said:

I just got 2 books written by Andrew L. Lewand. , tons of knowledge.

i read his books very informative.still no luck with the yotes for me.called in two but they came in closer then i was ready for with a 22-250,this year i'm using a shotty.

7 minutes ago, rachunter said:

i read his books very informative.still no luck with the yotes for me.called in two but they came in closer then i was ready for with a 22-250,this year i'm using a shotty.

what load for the shotgun ? #4 buckshot seems to be pretty popular. I did see new Heavi dead wild boar loads advertised. They shoot 3 big caliber balls. Heavi dead coyote was not impressive for me on fox.

I never got out with the Johnny Stewart cassette caller last year. Kept waiting for snow and that never happened. It's amazing how the snow reflects the moon making it easier to hunt without a light. I hunt at night so solo panning with light and shooting gun isn't easy.

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

what load for the shotgun ? #4 buckshot seems to be pretty popular. I did see new Heavi dead wild boar loads advertised. They shoot 3 big caliber balls. Heavi dead coyote was not impressive for me on fox.

I never got out with the Johnny Stewart cassette caller last year. Kept waiting for snow and that never happened. It's amazing how the snow reflects the moon making it easier to hunt without a light. I hunt at night so solo panning with light and shooting gun isn't easy.

i never tried the hd shot it's to expensive,

i use a headlight it goes where my eyes go i also have a light mounted on the gun with a pressure switch

btw this website is acting a little funky today.  

3 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

The snow, especially a good coating reflects the light back up. Full moon, good 6" of snow, pretty bright in hardwoods or in field. Heavier pines or fir trees.........Not so much.