Favorite .308 factory ammo for deer?

Jdubs

17 hours ago, Jdubs said:

I don't reload so what factory ammo are you feeding your .308 bolt guns?  I just picked up a Tikka T3x and need to get this ready for the 19th.  Figure my expected shooting lanes will be 50 to 150 yards.

Federal's 150gr loads (both the lead Soft Point's and Copper Trophy) will both be more than sufficient for deer.  Their ballistics will also be good enough to get the job done at distances within 300 yards.

Hornady also makes comparable loads.  

I've shot factory ammo from both manufacturers...I've had good results with both.

I'd definitely say the 150gr loads are the way to go, though you could go slightly lighter or heavier depending on your preferences. 

I grabbed a few different boxes of ammo to get the scope zeroed on Sunday.  After getting dialed in using the Winchester Power Points, all of the ammo used grouped well at 1 MOA or less.  The heavier Nosler 165's did group noticeably lower though.

I've heard good things about the Hornady Whitetails delivering a knockout punch on impact.  I'm going to sneak in one more quick range trip to fine tune things, but they will most likely be the Go-to choice on Saturday.

20161112_185854.jpg

• Like 2