To DeBone or not to DeBone

vizslas

Completely different cut of meat!!!! You are talking about a bone in rib steak or maybe a ny strip which would be a Kansas City with the bone in. Neither of which are a nasty cross section of the leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those cuts aren't from the leg. you can see the rib and spine in the pic.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

If I have a hanging deer, the head is down always.  First thing I do is saw the front legs off.  I know I can remove the front legs at the elbow lickity split with a knife but that is more wear on the edge of the blade that I don't need.  After the hide is removed, I'll saw off the head then pull the shoulders, neck meat, tender loins, back straps etc.  Next step I do is saw the back of the rib cage off right where it meets the hindquarters.  Then I'll let the deer hang from one hock as the other swings in the breeze, allowing me to severe the ball/socket joint.  That hindquarter gets laid on the table top/tailgate/cooler etc and the meat saw cuts the rear leg from the quarter.

i do the same thing right up to the bolded part. I debone the hinds right off the bone while hanging. once you split that muscle group at the back of the Femur (upper side as it hangs) the gravity weight of the meat makes boning it out as a whole hunk pretty easy. 

those cuts aren't from the leg. you can see the rib and spine in the pic.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yea those are not as bad with the bone in but a boneless neck roast will yield much more meat

• Like 1

I used to skin quarter and then bone, but started doing this method a few years ago and like it a lot more. It's not as easy on a fat doe but still easier then flopping a hind quarter around on the table.

I also bought a set of loppers from homedepot for the head/neck and legs. much easier then a saw.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

I was always under the impression that with wild venison, only the lean meat has good flavor and all the other bits like fat and bone will make it taste worse.

Am I mistaken?

I've always preferred bone in when it comes to beef although I think they've done studies that show it really doesn't add any flavor in terms of steaks.

On 12/4/2016 at 9:52 AM, vizslas said:

when you process your deer. what do you do with the back leg . debone the entire thing by separating the muscles, or what i saw these guys do. cut through the meat to the bone all the way around the leg and  then saw it off for steaks of course they did not have a band saw ,that would have made it easier... for you guys that have it done for you is this what the butcher does...  whats the better way/ preferred way lets get some votes and crunch the numbers on preferences.

Debone all the way, I hate biting into a piece of meat and having grit of bone. Enough to make me spit the meat out. 

Debone for sure...I've never had meat that was run through a band saw taste remotely good.  If you don't trim fat, sinew, membranes and other connective tissues holding the various muscle groups together the meat doesn't taste good IMO.  I meticulously trim and clean my deer meat and everyone loves it.

• Like 1

I used to skin quarter and then bone, but started doing this method a few years ago and like it a lot more. It's not as easy on a fat doe but still easier then flopping a hind quarter around on the table.
I also bought a set of loppers from homedepot for the head/neck and legs. much easier then a saw.

This is basically how I do it. I make a couple different cuts, but other then that it's the same. Really brought down my butchering time.

3 hours ago, Belo said:

I processed my own for the first time while watching this. 

• Like 2