Small plot / maximum tonnage?

The plot will only be 1/3 to 1/2 acre.  I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the best planting for a summer plot.  I'm looking for maximum tonnage for feeding deer over the longest period of time.  I don't care if I can hunt over it  I asked this same question of a couple people at Whitetail Institute, but I'd like to hear some real-world experience.  

Thanks.

i'm thinking of planting some of the logging/access roads in spots i want the deer to move through.  if it's limited sun i think i might go with a shade tolerant forage rye grass.  a little more sun i might go with alfalfa.  if there's at least 8 hours of sun i'll go with a clover, chickory, or mix.  someone else i know has good luck with access roads and a type of chickory, both for grazing pressure and vehicle traffic.  i'm sure George (SplitG2) on here could get you what you need.  a lot of rye grass and alfalfa around so i'll more likely go with chickory if i can to provide variety.  deer are particular.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  It gets almost full sun, and I'm leaning toward a clover/chicory mix.  I was just wondering about other forages that might stand up to grazing.  It's already a good spot.  A few does raise their fawns there.  I realized that I don't really need fall food to hunt over, just food to keep the does around.

Thanks for the input.  

I learned that the hard way zag!  Planted Wintergreens and they came up beautiful.  The first year it wasn't so bad, because the deer didn't know what the brassicas were.  The second year they wiped them out before bow season.  It was a dry year, so that didn't help either.  

Thanks for the info.