One buck...four years.

WNY Bowhunter

To me, one of the best parts of running trailcams is the opportunity to follow individual bucks over multiple years.. You never know which deer will be the one you end up developing a history with (hardly ever the ones that you want to see grow up).

I first noted this buck back in the summer of 2014 as a 2 year old 6-point. Digging through pics from a few months prior, I realized that he had showed up on the farm in January as a broken racked yearling . It was apparent that he wasn't ever going to be a high scorer but had some really cool character to his rack. I was happy to see him show backup on cam during post season scouting. Unfortunately, he was already shed out and appeared to have been wounded during season.  With the all the deep snow/frigid weather we had through Feb and March, I was certain he wouldn't make the winter.

He proved me wrong and I was shocked to see him in a bachelor group in late June! It took another month before he showed up on one of my cams. You could see the scar above his shoulders from his close call the previous fall. I got some good pics of him on scrapes during bow season and then he disappeared, but once again showed up in late December but only one time. I did have several sightings of him in a neighboring beanfield carrying his antlers into late February and was excited to see what he would over the summer. The drought that we experienced in the Finger Lakes Region really affected the deer's patterns and he never showed up on any of my cams over the summer and left me wondering what he turned in to...

IMAG0182.JPG

IMAG0192 (2).JPG

IMAG0067.JPG

IMAG0134b.jpg

IMAG0350.JPG

IMAG0633.JPG

IMAG0090.JPG

IMAG0134.JPG

• Like 6

There was one buck that I was hoping to see when I put my cams back out the last day of muzzleloader season.  I was pretty surprised to see "Hooks" had shown up several times in the past week!!! I would love to snag his sheds. Hopefully, he is more visible this summer. Not the greatest genetics but a pretty cool buck!

IMAG0636.JPG

IMAG0647.JPG

IMAG1112.JPG

IMAG0644.JPG

IMAG0645.JPG

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 10