My honeyhole plot 2010 edition...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So the rain has been pretty sparse since I put my plot in so I wasn't sure how the plot was going to look when I went to check on it but it looks like its coming along pretty well. This was the 1st time a plot had gone in this spot so I over seeded a little in case there was a failure to grow. Might need to go in and thin it a little when it gets bigger if the deer don't eat it right away. They don't seem to be interested in it right now. Hope that changes when it frosts. The blank areas are going to be filled in with winter rye in September.

post-358-13145531617_thumb.jpg

post-358-13145531618_thumb.jpg

post-358-13145531632_thumb.jpg

Alot of the bare spots have plants growing in them their just starting to sprout. Not sure why they took so long to sprout and the other areas took right off. Might be because we havent had a good soaking rain till today, so some of the areas got more moisture than others.

Here's a question. I have read that turnips and brassicas in general may need a 2nd fertilizing because they grow so fast, so once they get to a certain size they might start turning yellow. My question is how do you fertilize the plants without burning them. its not like I can just fill up the spreader and go to town without running over my plants and if I just throw it on by hand it might burn the plants wont it?

Didn't notice any, and I hope they don't become interested in it till after the frost hits it and I'm in the woods with my bow. It isn't really all that big and they will be able to clean it out rather quickly when and if they take a likeing to it. I didn't really go all out on it this yr and only planted turnips and rape in the center to see what would happen since this is my 1st yr doing a plot on this land. Will put some kind of cereal grain in the rest of it come Sept. to fill in the rest of it. Its still rather hot and I really don't start to see deer alot on the property till gun season starts or when the rut kicks in so hopefully it wont be 1 day its there and the next its gone but that is what I expect will happen. That is if they take a liking to the turnip and rape this yr. I have read where it will sometime take up to 3 yrs for deer to relize they like it.

Well, the deer have demolished the center part of my plot already. The center of it is the shadiest part and with the lack of sunlight, the deer nipped it all off early and its not coming back like other areas. Im gonna try over seeding with clover just to see if it comes in before season.

• 3 weeks later...

I messed up though, my Turnips are getting good leaves but the bulbs are not forming. I planted it a little thick and crowded it with the canola. Oh well live and learn next yr I will do it a little different, I honestly didn't think it would do as good as it has. It has def. brought in the deer. There are trails coming into the area that were not there before. Hope the Rye comes in good, Deer will massacre the brassicas if it doesn't. Though I think they just might once they learn they like it anyhow  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...