Ok I got the coyote to respond back now what

Zag

53 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

There often becomes a dilemma when setting up too far from downwind cover. That is when they pop out downwind and don't feel safe enough to come any closer often forcing the hunter to take long shots.
Lately I've found myself more often setting up toward the center of the field with the FoxPro speaker more crosswind and closer to cover. This'll way they'll try to approach from the side closer to the call.
Each spot will require much forethought before even stepping out of the vehicle. Things like wind direction, snow cover, moon light, and even headlight glow from passing cars can influence where to set up.
Proper stand selection is a big part of predator hunting and knowing how to adjust it accordingly takes time/experience to master.

This makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the great advice you have given in this thread!

• Like 1

There often becomes a dilemma when setting up too far from downwind cover. That is when they pop out downwind and don't feel safe enough to come any closer often forcing the hunter to take long shots.
Lately I've found myself more often setting up toward the center of the field with the FoxPro speaker more crosswind and closer to cover. This'll way they'll try to approach from the side closer to the call.
Each spot will require much forethought before even stepping out of the vehicle. Things like wind direction, snow cover, moon light, and even headlight glow from passing cars can influence where to set up.
Proper stand selection is a big part of predator hunting and knowing how to adjust it accordingly takes time/experience to master.

Agreed, but I try and back out further since I also have the foxjack decoy on the call. I have noticed after getting that visual there is far less of the "hang ups". When I first started out with hand calls it was more often than not they would not come in or out of cover for a good shot. I ended up making a feathered contraption on fishing line, hanging from an arrow. I immediately got better results as I almost had a dog snatch it out of the ground. I've also been in the worst possible wind and have had coyotes and fox literally knock over my call on a dead run to attack the foxjack. Any type of visual can be a major help in getting a better commitment. If you have a FoxPro or any call with an aux option I highly recommend the investment.

I should include that 99% of my predator hunting is done at night so I've seen little need for visual attractants. They could however prove useful on snow covered ground so I'll most likely add a foxjack for next season.

You and I could go back and forth a bit here, lol. When I do night hunt I don't bother with the foxjack since it's attached to the caller and I keep that close (20yrds or so) to make sure when they come in the eyes are facing me and reflect. Day hunts I'll put it out 50-60-70yrds depending on size of shootable area and always use the foxjack.

By the time this thread is done we sure will know everything about each other's hunting styles ! Hopefully some info is helpful to somebody. I am NOT a PRO, just learned from ALOT of mistakes.
  • Like 1

I'll freely admit I've never killed a coyote while calling. Old Johnny Stewart with cassette has killed a truck load of fox though. Received a Fox pro for my birthday in late December and then ordered a Fox jack for it. With only one area to hunt and an hour away I have only used it once with no results   Learning a lot from these posts. Thanks for the incite. Some day I'll post up a pic of my first song dog. I've done a lot of research and have 6 coyotes in a pack    Some day I'll get it done. 

Now would be the time for dogs. Breeding season is here and if you use vocals, you won't see a fox but will have a great chance at getting a dog. Stick with howls and pup distress, no barking or challenges. Before I had the kids I had no prob getting double digit dogs every season. Now I don't even get out double digit times....

• Like 1

If I'm just calling from different spots on one piece of land have I now educated them to my presents and limited my chances?

I'm superstitious. I would say yes- depending on how long your waiting between hunts and what calls your using in your sequence. If it's the only spot you have to hunt and like to get out frequently I would recommend you go out and stick to one call and keep it at the 30 min mark. Try one specific call each set. I explore the different calls that FoxPro has, especially in areas where there is high pressure. Let's face it, most FoxPro owners are playing bay bee cottontail, but how many are doing guinea pig distress ? I'll play all crazy crap and it has actually worked.

For reference on my superstitions.... I have a new 110 acre farm with lots of predator action on cam. I have hunted once at night and once in the a.m. both hunts where under an hour. I won't go back for another week or so when the temps drop are there's a good moon. Overcalling is a very common mistake in the dog game. Coyotes are dang smart and I believe they won't make the same mistake twice. Be sure to let me know if you get one with a crazy sound too, and don't be afraid to try one !!!
  • Like 1

Zag,
eastern coyotes have a large home range(20-50sq miles) so sometimes they just aren't there. I would recommend scouting with snow on the ground to see if they're still in the area. It doesn't take long to educate them especially with distress sounds.

I'll freely admit I've never killed a coyote while calling. Old Johnny Stewart with cassette has killed a truck load of fox though. Received a Fox pro for my birthday in late December and then ordered a Fox jack for it. With only one area to hunt and an hour away I have only used it once with no results   Learning a lot from these posts. Thanks for the incite. Some day I'll post up a pic of my first song dog. I've done a lot of research and have 6 coyotes in a pack    Some day I'll get it done. 

Are you hunting daytime or night?

Bait/carcass piles can help keep them nearby for a few days. Carcasses should be wired down to a tree root or something otherwise they will just drag it into the brush where they feel more secure.

If you give a description of your spot, I'd be happy to share some pointers.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...