Ok I got the coyote to respond back now what

Zag

Fist let me say I'm brand new at this. I took my new FoxPro out for test this am. I started with the rabbit distress call first. Didnt hear or see anything after a few minutes so I switched to some coyote calls and the woods lit up with responses. I stopped and listened to them barking for a minute then hit mine again and they went quiet. I then did the rabbit again and more yote calls and a few more sounded back but I never saw them. So I get a response from them then what should I do?

I wish I could help and answer this for ya. But it seems I suck at coyote hunting! Last year was our first at calling and we did ok but not great with five kills. This year we are 0 for 3 times out. Was out today and hunted six set ups on three properties. Saw a total of two but couldn't get them to come out of the thick stuff and commit, for a shot. Both were singles on different properties. And both seemed to come to a challenge bark/howl. Our best distress calls from e-calls and mouth calls have been ignored. I picked up a light, yesterday. And our next outing will be at night, hoping to change our luck. One thing for sure, if they are hunted, they are no pushover! We have yet to kill one from the same set up twice. So I too, will follow this thread for any tips and advice. 

• Like 3

Zag,
I like to copy whatever they are doing like howling, yipping, challenge, etc. Once they get good and fired up at the presence of other intruder coyotes, they like to go silent on their approach. If it was daylight then I can almost guarantee that they circled to your downwind side.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

Zag,
I like to copy whatever they are doing like howling, yipping, challenge, etc. Once they get good and fired up at the presence of other intruder coyotes, they like to go silent on their approach. If it was daylight then I can almost guarantee that they circled to your downwind side.

Thanks PD, I was hunting out of our little shack back in the woods to help hide my sent. I'm gonna give it a go in the am in a different spot and exposed to the wind so ill keep focused on it. Once I get them going do I keep barking back or shut up and wait?

4 hours ago, zag said:

So I get a response from them then what should I do?

Call Bob.  :)

Just kidding of course......I was in Canadice today for a cam card swap out and boot break-in trip.  I didn't talk to Bob but as of yesterday, he was up to 69 fox after a very late start.  Not sure what the coyote count is.

Has he gotten anything at your place or "up on the hill"?

8 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Call Bob.  :)

Just kidding of course......I was in Canadice today for a cam card swap out and boot break-in trip.  I didn't talk to Bob but as of yesterday, he was up to 69 fox after a very late start.  Not sure what the coyote count is.

Has he gotten anything at your place or "up on the hill"?

Not sure I sent him text this am wondering if he had any luck up on the hill but didn't hear back. I don't think he has any sets on our side just the north side and below us.

10 minutes ago, zag said:

Not sure I sent him text this am wondering if he had any luck up on the hill but didn't hear back. I don't think he has any sets on our side just the north side and below us.

I think he was at a fur sale today??  I'll see what I can find out........

14 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I think he was at a fur sale today??  I'll see what I can find out........

Yeah let me know, I think its probably kinda hard for him with us up there just about every weekend, I think it also maybe hard since were all woods. They sure were barking this am. I'm gonna give it another go in the am.

22 minutes ago, PREDATE said:

Once they've responded to your calls they pretty much have your location pinpointed and they're gonna either circle to catch a scent or sneak in for a visual. So I'd say howl back a bit then go silent and keep your eyes peeled.

and ill tickle em with my 308!!

• Like 3

If you get any response it's always good to stay silent. They heard you, if they are interested they will come in. If you give them 10min and nothing you could either do a very short howl or pup distress or a bit of both with a silence in between. The key to it is usually knowing when to stay quiet even though your adrenaline is through the roof and you want immediate results. Over calling is a mistake we all make, that's for sure. I'm far from a pro, and I can tell you 10min of silence can feel like hours, but it works !

• Like 2

Well I setup this am on a hill overlooking a valley with a gully and stream that flow down from the hill thru the valley. 30 seconds into calling I see something coming, finally locate it thru scope and it's a large Fisher, that was my only action. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Using a FoxPro I try to get the most amount shooting area downwind from the call. Very rarely does a dog come in anywhere other than down wind. If they do they are typically running in anyways, so they are easily spotted and I'll typically try and stop them as fast as possible because I'd rather take a far shot than a running shot(s). Most important part of any set is playing the wind. Dogs nose > whitetail nose

There often becomes a dilemma when setting up too far from downwind cover. That is when they pop out downwind and don't feel safe enough to come any closer often forcing the hunter to take long shots.
Lately I've found myself more often setting up toward the center of the field with the FoxPro speaker more crosswind and closer to cover. This'll way they'll try to approach from the side closer to the call.
Each spot will require much forethought before even stepping out of the vehicle. Things like wind direction, snow cover, moon light, and even headlight glow from passing cars can influence where to set up.
Proper stand selection is a big part of predator hunting and knowing how to adjust it accordingly takes time/experience to master.

• Like 1