Does anyone else keep a hunting log book?

Coachdad

I'm wondering how many people keep a log of your successful hunts. 

I started hunting in 1977 and had quite a few successful deer hunts since. Unfortunately I didn't start keeping a log of successful hunts until 2001.

Since 2001 I have logged the details of the hunt for every deer that I've shot (Bow, ML, Rifle).  While I remember every deer, it is fun to go back and read the small details that have long been forgotten. 

I'm wondering if many other hunters do this...  or am I overly anal. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have tried logging every hunt twice and gave up both times.  Just too much work.  But maybe if I limited the log to successful hunts I would stick with it.  I have much fewer of those to log.  lol

Yeah... I also tried this but ended up just logging the details of the successful hunts.  it is fun to look back after 10-15 years and read what you wrote (not to mention seeing pictures of a guy without gray hair).

• Like 1

I have been able to write a "year in review" since 1994.  It gives an overview of all the outdoor stuff I pursue: deer, turkey, small game, and fish.  It highlights successful hunts.  

I also try to keep a daily log that is just 1 line about where I went, what I saw etc.  

I always mean to keep a hunting log, especially during bow season, to record conditions, wind direction etc, but I never finish out the season.  

Asked a really good hunter I know about this idea, and he showed me one of his notebooks.  It was in some kind of coded shorthand!  

Totally agree with Coach about looking back over the years and revisiting the details.  It's nice to read about past success, especially by a woodstove on a cold day in February.

• Like 1