Bear hunting in Canada

Stein13

I've gone a few times.
One thing I recommend is bring your own hang on stand and sticks and set it up opposite the outfitters permanent stand.
A bear will sit just out of range/sight and stare at those stands that have been there forever. And the best bug suit you can afford plus a thermacell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Stein! I hunted Mikes Outfitter in Rouyn-Norunda. Had a great experience. I ended up arrowing one on the second day. My biggest thing I was not prepared for was field judging these bears. I did not put the proper time in doing that, so I ended up not shooting a very nice bear. I did shoot on the second day a 200lb Sow. I went the last week of June. Also, buy a thermacell and take a lot of extra packs with you. The bugs are terrible and the mosquitoes are the size of hummingbirds. Bug nets are great also. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Bring your safety harness. 

I'm not a tree stand guy.   I'm not an archer.  In fact, I stay away from stands.   I hunt from the ground only.

My concern is I know the guide has the Cabela type stands, with the rail.   Not sure how it will work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the blur said:

I'm not a tree stand guy.   I'm not an archer.  In fact, I stay away from stands.   I hunt from the ground only.

My concern is I know the guide has the Cabela type stands, with the rail.   Not sure how it will work out.

if you need a harness i have an extra one that comes with the stands you can have it.better then nothing.

or ask the guide about a ground blind now instead of when you get there

18 minutes ago, rachunter said:

if you need a harness i have an extra one that comes with the stands you can have it.better then nothing.

or ask the guide about a ground blind now instead of when you get there

From the ground will be pretty intense, I would like to do that next time I go. Not that they cant be up that tree in the blink of an eye though lol

2 hours ago, the blur said:

I'm going in August.    Not really sure what to expect.    I am concerned the fur won't be so thick in August.    But it'll be an experience either way.

I have three bears, all from August and their coats are thick. The New Brunswick one is much thicker than the Ontario bears but they are still great coats

23 minutes ago, rachunter said:

if you need a harness i have an extra one that comes with the stands you can have it.better then nothing.or ask the guide about a ground blind now instead of when you get there

That would be great!  I'll even send you a prepaid UPS label.   Just give it to any UPS man, or UPS store.

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

From the ground will be pretty intense, I would like to do that next time I go. Not that they cant be up that tree in the blink of an eye though lol

personally i like being up in the stand especially when it gets dark.i hunted new brunswick a lot big bears around fundy bay. 

I was on First week September bear hunt in Maine. Cool experience but the bugs were a presence. Never saw a bear but heard lots of noise when it got dark and was waiting for the guide. One night I had to wait 45 minutes after dark since my buddy connected. Whole bunch of $hit goes through the mind in those dark minutes! Our guide was against the thermacells- felt it gave too much of a scent- full bug jacket and head gear- bastards bit right through most clothing. Just saw a guy on life below zero make a bug suit out of high thread count bed sheets- swore skeeters couldn't bite through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1