Frost seeding clover

I have some clover seed that I want to frost seed on an existing clover plot..

Is it too early ?   Is there a potential danger of seeding it while we are having this unseasonably warm weather  ?

I's like to broadcast it in the next few days if  possible...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same predicament. The only thing you gotta watch out for is a long enough warm spell that allows the seeds to germinate and start seedlings only to be hit with a few days of hard cold that may stunt the seedlings or kill them completely. Clover is pretty resilient though so it should make it through fairly well. Looking at the weather right now I'm thinking of getting a few bags spread later this week. Looks like a couple warm days with a bit of rain to help pound the seed in before birds get to it and then a few cold days next week to keep them from germinating too early. Hoping it works!

• Like 2

Im ordering mine this week, hope to have it spread next week. I gained permission on a friends property as well. He and his family want to start improving habitat, holding wildlife on their property and seeing better quality animals. HE asked for my assistance in getting there. Hope they get serious with it, and it becomes a hobby like it is for me. 

They dont have equipment yet to break ground so we are going to start with frost seeding some clovers into a hay field. Or ill get my quad and boom-sprayer to him to kill off the veg. and he can spread and roll the clover seed in.. Up to him more than me lol. Then throughout summer into fall i can hopefully bring over some equipment to help out more after my child is born lol. In the mean time we will get busy with the saw..

I have a couple of spots that failed last year...so I'm raking the moss off them now and will frost seed in March...we had too many warm and rainy days in between the cold, to seed for my liking...Man I have some crazy amount of grass killing to do in the clover plots...not at all happy about that...then another, wild freaking daisy's...they are one of my perennial weed nightmares.:aggressive:

Here's a interesting article I came across on FB. How true it will end up being is of course unknown. But it says our summer will be cooler with much more precipitation than last summer. That should mean a good growing season! And easy on the deer.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/us-weather/2017-spring-forecast-temperature-precipitation-summer-sneak-peek/79721/
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Did you get it broadcasted Pygmy?  I like frozen ground for walking purposes. I have never had any luck spreading seed on prior seedings. Stand is thinner.  I like a grain base to seed on where the ground was worked in the fall. Takes better here.

I haven't done it yet...I'm overseeding an existing plot that has been grazed down like a golf green....

I have a box of clover from last spring that I want to get out of my shed and onto the ground..

Looking at accuweathers extended month long forecast, I can't decide when will be the time for frost seeding. Seems there's a lot of warm ups followed by cold days. Most nights it seems to get below freezing and warm during the day. So it's good for frost seeding, just seems it's gonna be a month long period of it. Might be better to hold off 2 more weeks.

• Like 2

I tilled, limed, fertilized, seeded, and rolled down a 50/50 mix of plotspike clover blend, and agway's ladino clover on a small 1/8 acre plot and a 50 yard by 5 yard tree planting site.  I also did that to some repair spots in the backyard too with some italian rye dressed on top.  Did that last week close to the hudson river in columbia county.  Time will tell.

Don't forget to post some pictures in a month or two how theyre doing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I'm going to broadcast it tomorrow, before the ground thaws again..

With the cold weather of the last couple of days I should be able to get the truck up to the plot without rutting things up..

Did ya get the job done?

42 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Did ya get the job done?

Yup, I got it  broadcast, Jeff....

Saw two flocks of snow geese heading south while I was spreading it...

I walked around looking for sheds afterward, but didn't find any..

• Like 1

Gonna spread my seed this week after it gets cold again. Waited for the rain we got yesterday and today to pass. Didn't want the seed to get washed away on the semi frozen ground.

Looks like it's gonna get cold again for a couple days then go into a thaw freeze cycle. Should be perfect timing I'm hoping!

• Like 1

Glad I held off...less chance of washing out in a quick thaw after these snow falls....March is roaring in like a lion to go out like a lab this year...kolobok_wink.gif

Was thinking the same thing! I got busy and didn't spread seed the other day but with this snow coming I'm gonna wait till it's gone. Should be good to go after that

• 2 weeks later...

We had 2 days of melt...and 2 days of real cold coming in...so I frost seeded over the chicory plus plot and 2 trails and a small opening plot...These are fairly flat, so I'm not worried about run off. It was a coated clover of some kind I found in the back seat of the car...must have bought it last summer...all other plots are way too sloped with this much snow......perhaps I'll catch another break later in the month.

• Like 1

Watching the weather closely and I think we will still have a decent amount of freeze thaw cycles left. I'm just waiting on the snow to melt down before I spread any seed. I'd really like for it to be just about all gone or at least less than 2 inches. Hoping maybe this weekend might be good enough to sling some clover and chicory around