climbers

rock

would like to pick up a summit open shot this yr. There compact and light weight only 15 lbs and the seat folds up against the tree to make more room for shooting. I had a viper but it was to heavy and bulky for bow hunting so I sold it. I still use the old blade type aluminum climber I picked up back in 94. Starting to get old and unsafe so its time for a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys like the Summit stands a lot?  I was thinking of getting one since whenever I go hunting I am traveling to some place.  I do not have anywhere to setup a permanent stand.

I do a lot of hunting in state game lands so i was thinking of getting one of those climbing stands. 

Is it possible to get up a tree if there are small branches on it though?  Do you need the tree to be bear (have no branches) up to the point where you want to be in the air?

The summits look real nice and I have read great reviews on them.  I need to get one soon though.

Ok, first off, do not go on state land with a limb saw and start cutting branches, etc. Its illegal to cut into or damage trees on state land.

Secondly, yes, you need the tree to not have branches on it where you want to climb. You also do not want a smooth bark tree, and you dont want a dead one or shaggy bark tree. The biggest downside to a climber is that the tree needs to be pretty straight. I am going to pick up a hang on stand and some ladder sticks this year to use along with my climber. I have a couple spots I need to get a stand in that dont have straight or bare trees.

Summit climbers are the best ones out there IMO. comfortable, quiet, light and quality built.