Grafting Trees..

Anyone here have any information on grafting trees? Ive heard about it for years and always wanted to try it. Just keep forgetting about this method. I recently watched a video where a man cuts a random 3" diameter tree(b/c the location was perfect) about 4 ft high and attaches Fresh "shoots" off  of his favorite fruit producing tree into the cambium layer of the tree..  I believe i have the process down on how to do it from start to finish, according to the research but just curious if anyone else has done this with good luck? Maybe what trees are better to graft to than others.. etc..

My thought process was that the existing tree already has a root system established..

or Maybe its just easier to plant the tree as normal..

I have grafted fruit trees but nothing the size of 3 inches.. 3/4 to 1 inch is the biggest I've done.. I use pruning tape and grafting wax to hold graft on and together.. I dont know how you would support a 3 in thick graft.....

They. UT through the bark to the cambium layer with a sharp knife, peeled the layer back .. seated the new shoot, 2 pieces opposite sides, with graft wax. Then folded it back over and taped it off as tight as possible, then used a wood glue to seal it off with

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have grafted a lot of improved apples onto large wild trees using the cleft grafting method. It is easy but generally takes 3 years to replace the branches with the new variety. You can probably find that one youtube also.

Get grafting material now! Mine is already in cold damp storage. You don't want the buds swelling.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have grafted a lot of improved apples onto large wild trees using the cleft grafting method. It is easy but generally takes 3 years to replace the branches with the new variety. You can probably find that one youtube also.

Get grafting material now! Mine is already in cold damp storage. You don't want the buds swelling.    

Thats what im reading is now is the time to cut, the guy in the video i watched used young shoots, and cut them at both ends, one end at a 45 degree angle and the other just a straight cut off. It was a video the QDMA website used from, MossyOak.com. Im going to try at least a tree or 2 in a prime spot, and see how it works