Trapping in the ADKs

sailinghudson25

I just got my trapper's ed course.  I'll mainly be trapping on logging lease land.

There's a few beaver ponds.

However, my main thing will be coyote and fisher / mink trapping. Hoping to keep the snowshoe hare population good.

Mink I think will be easy.  Plenty of trails.  Do these trails go straight into a beaver pond and out?  I know they go alongside a creek or stream.

I will be making tempting scent posts for coyote on the trail intersections.  I have been told to get a burnt log and put it up for the critters to catch their eye.

The conibear boxes.....  any good places to set them you like.

Any concern about bears. There are not many.

Also, the common lures and scents....  Are there one's the animals don't know well.  Like Skunk?

This is all on exclusive leased land, so little worry about theft.

there is so much information available to beginner trappers nowadays.. Lots of books, videos and websites like www.trapperman.com and http://nytrappers.proboards.com really can shorten the learning curve.. lots of youtube videos as well.. Joining the NY State Trappers Association and attending their Annual Convention on Labor Day weekend in Herkimer is well worth it..  Start with simple basic sets like pocket sets in water and dirtholes on land.. If you use conibear boxes, be sure to adhere to the dimensions as shown in the regulations. Best of luck to you!

^^^^this is all great info^^^^

Scents will vary I ran Dunlap lures this year with pretty decent success...

Watch Jeff Dunlap on YouTube is does a great job on videos.

Feel free to pm with any other questions and I'm sure anyone else here also would help.

P.s go to herkimer show I've been every year sence I was a kid it's a good time

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 4/11/2017 at 8:34 PM, sailinghudson25 said:

Mink I think will be easy.  Plenty of trails.  Do these trails go straight into a beaver pond and out?  I know they go alongside a creek or stream.

I will be making tempting scent posts for coyote on the trail intersections.  I have been told to get a burnt log and put it up for the critters to catch their eye.

The conibear boxes.....  any good places to set them you like.

Any concern about bears. There are not many.

Also, the common lures and scents....  Are there one's the animals don't know well.  Like Skunk?

There are a lot of guys here with more experience than I have and all will help. Theses are all suggestions I have, by no means use them as gospel and experiment your self and match your terrain.

1. Learn and utilize some very basic and generic water sets for mink and muskrat.

2. Scent posts along trails are a great idea; not sure I would not introduce a burnt log into the set however. I try and use only natural materials at hand. I would use urine and bait to attract them. Again, everyone has a bait type or brand they are comfortable using. Experiment or talk with local trappers.

3. Body grip traps, I use 160 in cubby sets and like dense evergreen areas for fisher and bobcat. I make some bubby boxes (check NYS regs closely) and also some natural sets with logs or rocks. Where I trap early snowfall can hamper a foothold set overnight. Cubby are still functional even if an animal has to dig it reach the cubby.

4. Bears. Where I trap there are many bears and they can get a fancy for cubby sets and tip them over and smash them up. I plan to lose a few each fall.

5. Lures and scents, I would talk with local guys and any info from a local shop. Again use local products or those most common to your area. I have never seen or smelled a skunk where I trap and would't use that as a attractant. 

Hope this helps and enjoy yourself...

• 1 month later...

sailing Hudson, how's the trap line going ?  Yes , I see this is an old thread.

Mink sets- pocket sets with a little piece of muskrat meat stuck in the back  But monitor water levels. Set drowning sets   Caught most of mink in muskrat runs in ditches   Little shelves along creek up and under tree roots are deadly on mink.. Culverts under roads etc are also great.

Agree on skipping the charred log   Your scent posts at intersections sounds good on yotes. Dirtholes, trench sets all solid too

Like stated watch the trap size regs for conibears on  land

What kind of staking are you using for coyotes ? Don't use a single rebar . I don't care how long it is. They'll pump them out.   Cross stake 2 rebar or earth anchors of some sort.

No trap legal to set on land is going to hold a bear. You're good.

Buy a catchpole if you haven't   Easy release of critters you want to release.

Skunk doesn't do much for attraction. Pretty sure Nightowl puts out some great lures.  Use sparingly, like a drop. Less is more.

Watch for frozen traps in their dirt beds.  Make some waxed dirt (youtube) , dried peat moss, and Cocoa shells will help prevent freezing in.

Look into hay sets.  Great visual attraction when snow on the ground for canines.  Can even drill a hole thru ice on a creek when frozen. Drop end of earth anchor through. It'll refreeze securing trap.  Picture some strewn out hay on a fresh snow covered creek. No fox will pass not checking it out.