Hens

rachunter

When you see or have hens come in solo. Do you usually sit tight or move on. Today I walked up on two hens feeding around 9 so I sat there for about an hour even after they where out of sight. Wondering if I should have moved on sooner. I use to think someone already killed the gobbler but not so much anymore. 

Maybe the Tom( s) were just off somewhere else. Maybe the hens are nested nearby too. I had the same hen come in 3 consecutive times about the same time last year. Nested nearby I'm sure. Could Tom been killed ? Certainly but imo if there's hens there's a Tom. If you have a huge property or property's to hunt try and strike up a hot Tom. If not hunt there with the hens. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It is a dynamic situation....Most of the gobblers are in contact with hens most of the time..

However, a hen might give the gobbler the slip to go off and lay an egg, or they may get separated in other ways...If a tom is not in the company of hens, he is vulnerable.. You just have to put in your time and be lucky enough to be there on the day, or perhaps the hour, when he is devoid of female company.

If you can call in the hen/hens, the gobbler will follow,  but that is a crap shoot too...Sometimes  you can, but often they will just ignore your calling and merrily lead the gobbler off over the hill.

Ain't it FUN, though ?.....hehehehe.....

• Like 2

On 5/14/2017 at 4:52 PM, Pygmy said:

It is a dynamic situation....Most of the gobblers are in contact with hens most of the time..

However, a hen might give the gobbler the slip to go off and lay an egg, or they may get separated in other ways...If a tom is not in the company of hens, he is vulnerable.. You just have to put in your time and be lucky enough to be there on the day, or perhaps the hour, when he is devoid of female company.

If you can call in the hen/hens, the gobbler will follow,  but that is a crap shoot too...Sometimes  you can, but often they will just ignore your calling and merrily lead the gobbler off over the hill.

Ain't it FUN, though ?.....hehehehe.....

LOL...agreed. The longer I play this game of chasing turkeys, the more I realize how unpredictable & unpatternable they really are.