Found a fawn today

chrisw

I scouted today down in 7M and decided to toss out a few trail cams earlier than usual. On the way in I saw a buck sporting about 3" of velvet, first of the year for me. Among my travels (in a real thick evergreen growth) I stumbled across my first fawn of the year also, I saw it about 8' from me tucked under a tree. I snapped a few pics and let it be. I would've loved to spend an hour getting shots of it but I didn't want to spook it or make it too uneasy. No matter how many times you find them they're always just as cool. About an hour later I was sitting on a log in the sun taking a break and a coyote came by, hopefully he doesn't find what I did.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IMG_20170601_151220_497.thumb.jpg.b84c35fawn6.jpg.986d9375948f9ae4a34cb327bcc8f0fawn5.jpg.7c34ee4edaea77a2fca03d4689bd87fawn4.jpg.8b745dd8bace8b6af6fe9ce48a9d91fawn.jpg.7d4bdb0e556991e739531af948b7a1f

• Like 14

Simply awesome Thanks for sharing. They are so cute at that age. Disclaimer: and taste really good in a few years.
One of my most memorable times in the woods. Years ago while turkey hunting I had a still wet , just birthed fawn stumble past my tree at 2' tops. It probably was taking it first steps It wobbled out to field edge and came back. Upon leaving the woods I found where it was birthed in the mayapples not 50' from my tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They are remarkable little critters. Here's a few fawn facts that I admittedly looked up today because I wanted to know more about them. They can typically stand and nurse 30 minutes after birth, have 294-306 spots on average, weigh 6-8lbs at birth, can feed on vegetation around 2 weeks old, typically can outrun predators at 3 weeks, twin fawns are separated and typically reunited at 3-4 weeks old, fawns feed 4-6 times a day, the mother doe is typically always within 100 yds of her fawns, the does bed away from their fawns as not to attract predators to the fawns location.

• Like 6

They are remarkable little critters. Here's a few fawn facts that I admittedly looked up today because I wanted to know more about them. They can typically stand and nurse 30 minutes after birth, have 294-306 spots on average, weigh 6-8lbs at birth, can feed on vegetation around 2 weeks old, typically can outrun predators at 3 weeks, twin fawns are separated and typically reunited at 3-4 weeks old, fawns feed 4-6 times a day, the mother doe is typically always within 100 yds of her fawns, the does bed away from their fawns as not to attract predators to the fawns location.

Deer are precocial, they walk almost immediately after birth. I think it's a trait of prey animals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...