The test hay...

Was planted this a.m. I dragged the field after liming late yesterday...I put a whole bunch of stray old flower seed in the front by the fencing...I added med. red and balansa clover to the hay mix and seeded most of what I had disced and limed...I will add a bit of alfalfa on the high dry side along the tree line...I may roll it in..may not we are due for a few thunder storms over the next few days so that should do the job...This is a rich muck type soil so I won't worry about fertilizing until several inches of growth appear... besides This is the spring /fall flood zone...If we get hit hard with storms I'm not sure how well the seed will do if the water stands for a few days... The lane-ways are next..I haven't even mowed the big fields weeds and stalks yet...

Ya what am I doing on the PC then...well yesterday, hands full, I took a header in my kitchen... boots tangled in rug then each other...want to guess what broke the fall...yep...both my bad knees...Mr B about freaked when I said how swollen do you think they are... Weren't bad this morning until I took 3 40 # bags of lime and a 55# bag of dog food out of the trunk and carried to the house...So I'm on a work, swell, elevate regimen...OH could have been worse...nearly clocked my forehead on our stove on the way down...bumbles do not bounce...:wink:

Edited by growalot

It didn't flood but no one will be walking in it any time soon. I had found that bag of grain sorghum and decided to spread a 3-4 foot swath the width of the field at the end of hay...That seed is at the very least 5-6 years old and sitting in it's bag and a feed sack on our basement floor...I thought for sure Ir would have been moldy when I checked it..Almost afraid to open the sack...I looked fine...I checked it this morning hoping to walk it into the dirt a bit..I had just top dressed the ground with it before the rain...Well, Well color me surprised to see bunches and bunches of little white tails coming off that seed already. Now to see if it has enough energy to actually make a plant...

This will be a succotash area I had spare carrot seed I didn't want to deal with so I tossed it out there...

Ohhh the garden...I'm ashamed to say I'm still planting...I was able to weed a bit around the spinach  but it rained all night long and it is very dark out there now...couldn't pick berries today due to the plants being so wet...This will not be a good garden nor plot year for me...I sprayed my one big clover area and killed grass and weeds...but the clover stayed stunted and what came back? weeds and grass...I'm thinking it will be a total spray down in next week and then a light discing, beans, drag them in and then clover...maybe dutch white...Still have not even mowed the lower plots and the kill down spraying I did at end of lane way has re grown  so yet another spraying has to happen...This do to that being an area of perennial weeds...the corn and sorghum area I haven't touched is a sea of daisies...I'm back to square one...only the grain area is fairly weed free...save a few daisy plants I can pull...Hey I have decided not to sweat it, if the deer show they show..if not.. well, so be it...Maybe I'll get some help getting equipment ready when I need it next year...When someone doesn't get any deer meat this year..... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

The hay field is green but only about an inch high...very very slow..I have never grown hay so don't know how fast a new planting should be. What I do know is how surprised I was that a doe and fawn were standing out in it at 10:30 am trying to eat it....they weren't happy to see me...

I don't know...may loose that hay plot it is a solid carpet of one of the worst weeds on our place...even though that area was kept pretty clean due to being the pumpkin ,winter squash and melon plot last year and sweet corn the two years before...woulddn't be bad but these weeds have massive tight fibrous roots that bind all the soil in the top 4 inches. and they flower and set seed in less then 2" of growth...It is one of the worst on the place...worse than the Chinese garlic

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=garden+weeds+identification&t=ffhp&dbexp=a&ia=images&iax=1&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fi.stack.imgur.com%2FoIw2O.jpg

That mat of weeds that is the hay field, is nearly ready to mow, Maybe one more week... the clovers are fighting hard and growing well considering the weeds.  So it may end up just clover next spring...a mowing just before a flowering on weeds will stimulate the clover more and get sun to the ground.  The bare ground behind( midway to the rt.)  it is now green with plot and mid way to left up hill will be the alfalfa.

Never ending battles against those dang weeds.

My couple of clover plots are fighting hard but I'm not sure how well it's gonna go for them. This one is a 2nd year WI Fusion plot. It's small enough that I took the weed whacker to it. Hopefully that helps it.
Before
027b5c77921d51eda003f71ce15e7a0c.jpg
After
39e3aa15205e33ed2a932c906415cb3a.jpg

I have to say I have never seen weeds this bad..ever...my garden id killing me and it's due to that persian carpet weed...I wish we could do controled burns I think it is the only way to fight it ...any part that touchs soil roots...it flowers and sets seed nearly immediately the seeds are like dust .

• Like 1

• 10 months later...