Need help with JD Mower

fasteddie

My brother in law gave me an old John Deere LT150 a few years ago.   It had a similar issue with a safety switch and I  was able to by-pass it,  I think I ended up clamping the sensor down.   I like this mower a lot better than my other cheap gear-drive one because it is much easier cutting around all the trees and such with the hydro transmission.   Before we left for vacation a few weeks ago, I thought that transmission had failed or the drive belt needed replacement (a major job) because the wheels would not turn when I stepped on the pedal.  It turned out that 3 of 4 motor mount bolts had fallen out and the motor was pulling away from the belt when I hit the drive pedal.  I was able to get one in on the opposite diagonal relatively easy,  and it works pretty good like that for now.   The other two are harder to get at, but I will try and replace them when I find the time.  Too much fishing to do right now however.   Good luck with it.  

Edited by wolc123

I have an L120 and had this exact problem last week. Every time I engaged the pto the engine puked immediately. Figured it was some kind of safety switch and turned out to be the switch under the seat. Good luck!

51 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The reverse safety switch is a small white button on the left lower part of the dash. Fuel is not gravity feed on these, as the tank is lower than the engine. The blade engagement is done with a cable between the tension pulley on the deck and the lever above the steering wheel. Im still betting its the reverse switch.

I with you on this one. Kinda, But, there's always a but..lol,  those I've seen when the blades are engaged, and you shift into reverse, the deck cuts out, not the motor.

Can't believe they would make a mower that the engine would stall out when blades are engaged and you put it in reverse,  but hey, there's some really stupid people in this world that shouldn't even get on a mower, lol

Very curious to hear the outcome.  

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I with you on this one. Kinda, But, there's always a but..lol,  those I've seen when the blades are engaged, and you shift into reverse, the deck cuts out, not the motor.

Can't believe they would make a mower that the engine would stall out when blades are engaged and you put it in reverse,  but hey, there's some really stupid people in this world that shouldn't even get on a mower, lol

Very curious to hear the outcome.  

Mine shut the engine down. Theres no way to turn the deck off without throwing the engagement lever on those mowers. The lever pulls a cable (like a bicycle brake cable) and that moves the engagement pulley into place on the deck, which in turn tightens the belt and makes the blades spin. The only way to go into reverse with the deck engaged, was to push the reverse safety button while you went into reverse.

55 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Mine shut the engine down. Theres no way to turn the deck off without throwing the engagement lever on those mowers. The lever pulls a cable (like a bicycle brake cable) and that moves the engagement pulley into place on the deck, which in turn tightens the belt and makes the blades spin. The only way to go into reverse with the deck engaged, was to push the reverse safety button while you went into reverse.

That clarifies things.  Reverse switch is sounding like the culprit.  

Thanks for all the suggestions . Saturday , my son changed the spark plug , air cleaner , oil , etc ... No effect on the engage lever . 

The seat switch plug that comes out by the gas tank had no place to plug into anything but the mower would still run when you got off the seat . He took his meter and checked out a few things and unplugged the reverse switch . Voila ! He could engage the blades and mow in both directions . Soooooo , apparently the culprit was connected to the reverse switch .  Thanks again !

I did find a manual for the tractor on line and it has over 390 pages . Wow !

• Like 2