3 point attachments

So you bought a 60hp tractor with a front loader and a York rake. I am starting my Christmas wish list. What would be you next 3 attachments? My property is mostly woods and I am slowly clearing areas for some food plots. I have less then a 1/2 acre of lawn that I use a lawn tractor for so no need for a bush hog or finish mower yet. Send over your ideas please. If my wife can have 100 pair of shoes and pocket books I can have a few attachments ;)

• Like 2

disc and forks and if you plan on ever digging holes for anything,trees,posts.. a post hole digger

ps those are the less expensive...I have to say I love the backhoe...but don't use it as much as the other stuff.....Did when I was making woodland plots though...drainage ditches and stump removal.

Edited by growalot

I forgot I have forks that attach to the bucket too. I was thinking also a sickle mower for around the pond I put in and on the sides of my road and driveway. I have a back blade and rake for the quad but they are little more then a toy. But a start. A disk sounds good. I will use that atleast twice a year or more. I am getting my tires loaded next week. 

Tiller is the way to go, if the funds allow, then u don't have to monkey with a plow/disc combo. Basically any implement is a great investment. Boom pole, box scraper, brush hog and back blade is in my arsenal so far. I'm looking for a snowblower, post hole digger, York rake currently. I watch Craigslist and get used but not abused. I find no sense in buying implements new that are gonna lose paint on day one. I have the best one already, the loader. Other than that, just get one of each and you will be satisfied and able to attack any job !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you have rocky ground, you will not want a tiller.  For food-plotting, I would get a 6 ft bush-hog, a 7 ft 3-point disk (or a 10 ft transport type disk), and a 2 x 14" plow.  All those are on the small side for 60 hp, but smaller implements are better for foodplotting because they will work better in less that ideal conditions (that usually means wet).  A 6-8 ft cultipacker, boom sprayer, and a fertilizer spreader would be good tools to have also.  

My favorite tool, when it comes to putting venison in the freezer, is a 3-point, 2-row corn planter, with dry fertilizer attachments.  A 2-row planter is ideal for 1/2 to 3 acre plots.  Corn usually out-produces all other foodplots, because it provides cover as well as carbs, just when the deer need them both the most.  Plots like clover, brassicas and soybeans might keep deer on your ground at night, but only corn will keep them there by day, after they detect a little hunting pressure.        

• Like 1

15 hours ago, growalot said:

Big yes on the cuiltipacker...agree on t h e tiller on rocky ground ..We ought a 2 bottom plow but ive never needed it. I dont want to bury my few inches of good top soil. I'd love a planter. 

Good point on the burying of the topsoil.  I use a 2 x 12" plow and try to plow as shallow as I can, usually only 4-6" deep.   That saves topsoil and fuel.    My biggest usage of the plow is for rolling over old white clover plots in the spring for new corn plots.   I have an experiment going now, where I plowed and disked one old corn plot and sprayed and disked another.  It will be nice to see which one does better with new wheat/clover mix plots this fall.   I am hoping that the "organic" one, where I used the plow instead of the spray does better.   As fuel gets cheaper (The last time I bought, it was $1.95/gallon for off-road diesel), the plow gets more attractive than the spray.  It certainly can not hurt to minimize the spray usage, when so much of our family's food comes off our farm - mostly in the form of venison.        

On 8/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, The Engineer said:

I forgot I have forks that attach to the bucket too. I was thinking also a sickle mower for around the pond I put in and on the sides of my road and driveway. I have a back blade and rake for the quad but they are little more then a toy. But a start. A disk sounds good. I will use that atleast twice a year or more. I am getting my tires loaded next week. 

Im not sure yet if im ready to part with them, but im close by you and have a 2 bottom plow and a disc. Both are heavy duty, older and more stout then the stuff they sell today. If your interested let me know and i might consider selling them. Would have to take both because i have no use for one with out the other.

Just a simple 3 pt disc. If your soil isn't rocky go with the tiller. only need a little soil contact and rain and you cna grow most anything. a post hole digger is always nice too. If you ever get into bigger several acre plots. a seed drill will be nice. Theres just something about row crops! lol. Any investment on attachments cant be wrong!