sight pin question...

22Plinker

Having practiced with only field points up until this week, I decided it was time to put on some broadheads and make sure everything flies true.  After making some adjustments, including bumping the draw weight back up to max (70#), field points and broadheads fly within an inch of each other out to 40 yards... furthest I feel comfortable making an ethical shot.  Going from 62# to 70# i made some minor adjustments to the sight pins but I was shocked at how they are set now.  I was expecting the spacing to be reversed with the gap between 30 and 40 to be larger than the 20 to 30.

The image below are my pins.  For some reason the image is off 90 degrees but the left side is the top.  20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards and the last pin i haven't set up yet.  See how the gap between 30 and 40 is half that between 20 and 30?  Is this normal?  It shoots great like this from what I have practiced... can put 6 arrows in a 4 inch circle out to 40 yards (tighter groups at closer ranges).  Just curious what others pins look like.

image1[375].JPG

Set the next pin the same distance as the 30-40 and test it at 50, if its on your good.  It should be close.  Otherwise it could have to do with the arrow rest height.  That I would bring it to a bow tech to check if everything is in tune.  If it is your should be fine. 

• Like 2

seems a little odd.  low or high anchor and how you align the sights can mess with things a little, kind of like the zero on a rifle.  another thing i've seen is nock low arrow flight as it leaves the bow, causing it to plain straight but up.  i assume your bow is tuned if broadheads are hitting with field points.  however, if you're shooting bigger vanes/fletching and a low profile mechanical broadhead then it'll act a lot like a field point and your bow could slightly out of tune.  any of that apply to you?

changing draw weight, tiller, string stretch, etc can effect all effect up and down.  if your center shot or rest is very good left to right then your arrows will stay in line left or right.  that said i wouldn't monkey with it from what people say on here alone.  have someone actually look at it in person who knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

Looking everything over I found my rest height was a touch low. The fletchings were leaving a very sleight trace of rubber. I bumped it up about a mil and everything seemed to shoot tighter. Had to resign the 30 and 40 pins and it looks much better now. Thank you everyone for your help. 

• Like 2