first lasting snow = elk fest

slickrockpack

first lasting snows have turned the elk on

I hate the cold but finally we can fill some tags without worrying about spoiling meat.

96 F on Tuesday, 38 F today with good snows above 6500'

snowed hard at the house 6200' but didn't last .

VID_20130926_164926_399 (3).mp4

Edited by slickrockpack
video problems
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, grampy said:

Wow! That is a lot of elk! Best of luck with your hunting! Keep safe. Please post up some pic's when ya get one down!

no, it really isn't Grampy! LOL.

5,000 or more elk in one herd, THAT's a lot of elk, which won't happen til mid winter.

because there are so many big game animals all around us here all the time hunting isn't like in NY, it's more just knocking down met and filling freezers, it's not a high five thing it's more along the lines of , Butterballs were on sale at Blair's so I bought 10.

last year my wife and I had poor communication when cull tags went on sale to locals and I thought she told me to pick up 13 elk tags while in town, so I did, this is cull hunts in Jan.

When I got home she shook her head because what she had said was , "I picked up 13 elk cull tags while in town"...so we had 26 cull tags cow/calf and our 6 regular season tags, I'm pretty sick of elk right now and a hot dog sounds better. :)

but we like watching them and listening to them.

went down to disconnect irrigation, that's those wheels and pipes ou see, and the fields were busy with raghorns being tough guys, always fun to watch.

the other is herds that come through the yard, Nothing bugling in the yard yet, but soon.

24d316e4fe41d6885a0e69e2cc369d36.jpg

20150821_201237 (2).jpg

• Like 2

snow is pushing them into fall mode, and it's always a ball when everything moves down into town.

unfortunately the crawlers are heading into the warmth from the house too, more scorpions on the carpet than normal and woke up to a black widow walking on my cheek this morning...hate that. damn deadly little bitches.

elkintown.jpg

9 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

That's a lot of elk to me. It's fantastic that you have them close to you. I was lucky to see 30 maybe on my hunt. You are a lucky guy !!

Thanks Smoke,  It's 50 miles for a gallon of milk but for us it's fine.  getting a little too crowded here now as you can see from the houses in the photos, 30 years go there were 8 houses in this 20 mile long valley, now it's a town with 165 residents.

nothing lasts forever.

snowing hard above 8000, everything is moving down, it will just keep getting better and better, I'm annoyed to death I have to go east again soon, but Mom and Sis passed away this year so last time.

DSC02337.JPG

6 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

Thanks Smoke,  It's 50 miles for a gallon of milk but for us it's fine.  getting a little too crowded here now as you can see from the houses in the photos, 30 years go there were 8 houses in this 20 mile long valley, now it's a town with 165 residents.

nothing lasts forever.

snowing hard above 8000, everything is moving down, it will just keep getting better and better, I'm annoyed to death I have to go east again soon, but Mom and Sis passed away this year so last time.

DSC02337.JPG

Sorry to hear about your mom and sister. My condolences. 165 residents isn't to bad when I use to 50000. 

7 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

deer are bunching up too, usually middle of October they are down here around the house to stay/

something about the first hard snows that get you going doesn't it?

I think my neck is swelling and my head itches.....:)

snow no.jpg

2015-03-31 09.21.37.jpg

Be careful about that rut it will get you in trouble.