need help with well

tommyc50

hi everyone this is the story sunday me and my friend who owns the house where i stay opened the cover to the well and he wanted to pour something down there[ i dont know anything about wells im from the city and in narrrowsburg where we had a house was spring water] well i went to take a shower and i was taking a shower and the water was trickling out i dont know if we did something or the pump went but it is crazy one well guy wants $1200 and i looked @ pumps and they are $400 -600 well thank you any help would be appreciated 

I grew up on a well and unfortunately still live on one. If it's the pump you will have to pull the whole thing out of the well and replace it. I'm sure a local electrician can do. It also could be something with the tank inside. I would have a couple people come trouble shoot it before the well guy comes. I would doubt it ran dry after this lame summer.

A lot of stuff could be wrong. Well pumps don't go bad all that often. I'd do a good check on the interior plumbing like the pressure switch and stuff.

I lost water a few months back and thought it was the well pump. Found the control board for the well pump blew a resistor. It's inside next to the holding tank so it was easy to swap out.

thank you guys so much i knew my friends on here could help. it was late sunday and my friend already left and i was on my way when the water went. we'll be back friday[we both had to work]. we'll do a check on everything you guys said  especially the pressure switch and the wiring.well it happened at a bad time but you know what they say s#%$ happens. as a side note  i hunted suday and seen 6 does walking to the stand. oh and it is not fun having soap in your eyes when the water goes.

Here's a few pics of what I was talking about. It's the well pump control box. Yours should look similar to these pics. The capacitor is the black cylinder looking thing. Mine burnt up and leaked a oily substance all over in the box and as I continued to fiddle around with it, started smoking like crazy. Now if your control box is like mine, the capacitor part is on the front panel that you pull off the control box. So when I bought a new box(because they won't just sell you the $10 capacitor you gotta buy the $95 entire box) and took the front cover from the new one and just put it into the old rest of the box. That way I didn't have to redo all the wiring. It's a very quick fix and it's apparently a more common issue vs a entire well pump going.

99919a7d3a7a72dc77673fad3585caec.png&key=f8e39568618ca143fca6a07984221db71c9c5ef30d32b50394343db172d58af5

What the control box should look like before taking cover off. Few different sizes in this pic. Will depend on how many HP your well pump is as to what size box you have. If you go for replacement box make sure to write down the exact HP rating and all other specs listed just to help make sure you get the right one from the plumbing supply store.

1df1fb28c25b34914b157d093977d85e.png&key=d5d9f0e424854b28ba90e8bf1b56b29475915c48c41b36798f162735b02f7547

Here's a diagram of a usual well system. I'm no well expert I'm just a DIY guy and found this diagram useful when I was trying to diagnose my problems. I actually knew next to nothing about any of this until I had problems and had to self teach myself with the help of google and plumbing forums lol

18b742d780fb51746d307c195b152be3.png&key=2cb8346f3e33ab573a7138704445ead98bf7be01a574cab83f5501feb12eaa8a

I did the control box cover a few times until it fried instantly. First you need to determine if it's a submersible pump or a jet pump. If it's submersible, you will want to pull the pump up and inspect the wiring the entire way. There's a reason the box tripped or you'll just confirm the pump isn't working. I did a 285 ft run by hand twice. Rent one of these if you can.

There's a pitless adapter like this picture. You'll need a 1 inch threaded pipe @ 48" or better to get it loose. Make sure you tape the wire to the pipe every couple of feet. (It isn't taped in this vid) TURN THE POWER OFF AT THE BREAKER BOX FIRST. One time I found a small melted section on one wire. I spliced it and used a waterproof sleeve. A few years later the pump went so I did that.

download.jpg