Now they are moving..

growalot

I got 4 new buck on cam that were not there this summer ...I got a big boy last night, Unfortunately bad shot and cam is one of the ones with wonky dates/times,I can't fix. Though either night or early morning....Glad I wasn't walking /crunching around in the dark out there. Until leaf litter is thicker,trees nearly bare and I can clean the trails I will limit where I hunt and times I hunt. This was a substantial deer. now to get some patterns going...I'll let the neighbors crunch around on their places a few weeks...hoping they fill their tags.I HONESTLY wish them early success...Then I can go enjoy some hunting:wink:

• Like 3

I use to mow,but that messes with the JD...actually got a fire once...I then raked...I have 2 miles of trails..I did the whole thing one year...I couldn't move for half a week..lol Never mind the number of hours I spent buggering up the place with presence ,scent and noise...so when Mr B bought the back pack blower I went to that.. chain saws are the norm here as well as 4 wheelers and weed whackers...Now I just take a fairly quick walk around the place...timed right...the wind does the rest of season...Timing is everything...just before a good rain or even during a light one. Also where you blow them...to main wind direction side...Here it's the east side I want the leafs on or the south side.

• Like 1

I always think about making a path to my stand. But I don't know if I want a telegraph pointing people right to my stand and trail camera's. I lease land with a few buddies and none of us live there. There are always 4 wheelers trespassing and every now and then a stand disappears. Anybody could hunt there all week long and we would have no idea....

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I always think about making a path to my stand. But I don't know if I want a telegraph pointing people right to my stand and trail camera's. I lease land with a few buddies and none of us live there. There are always 4 wheelers trespassing and every now and then a stand disappears. Anybody could hunt there all week long and we would have no idea....

Once the leaves drop it gets covered, but lack of twigs n branches makes for an infinitely quieter entry none the less

3 hours ago, growalot said:

Never mind the number of hours I spent buggering up the place with presence ,scent and noise.

Field and Stream scent tests indicate that  hot dry days are best for not leaving scent behind. Nothing to cling too and Deer can pass by within an hour or two and never know you were around

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

I walked to my creek bottom stand Sunday evening and it was quite crunchy. I would like to have the leaves blown off but man that would be a ton of work and a lot of noise and pressure. I've found that it's easier to just go in a few mins earlier and walk slow. Take a few steps and stop. Pick your steps carefully and just try to be a silent ninja lol.
The 5 pointer I let go Sunday evening I could hear him coming from almost 200 yards away. He was just stomping along the creek bottom. But he walked right by me and continued on down my atv trail that I just walked down earlier. He didn't smell my tracks at all. Walked away without a care in the world.

• Like 1