What broadhead will you be using this year?

Core

My plan was to use G5 montecs but I can't get them to group well. At 30 yards I was at least doubling group size over my field points plus POI was a few inches to the left (consistently). With the Rage 2 blade practice head I'm struggling to identify a different POI over field points, so I'll be using the rage it looks like. 

You won’t regret the rages. I should of taken a pic of the entry and exit wounds on my buddy’s deer he shot yesterday. They are massive. Hard quartering to shot, when through the body and came out in front of opposite side rear leg and then sliced a big chunk off the rear quarter after exiting body cavity. Holes were massive on both sides and he died within 60 yards
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

You won’t regret the rages. I should of taken a pic of the entry and exit wounds on my buddy’s deer he shot yesterday. They are massive. Hard quartering to shot, when through the body and came out in front of opposite side rear leg and then sliced a big chunk off the rear quarter after exiting body cavity. Holes were massive on both sides and he died within 60 yards

I made that same shot with my crossbow and 3 bladed mechanical last year.  The buck swung around after taking the bolt, and hobbled off, dragging the rear leg that it had exited.  I remember wondering how in the heck I could have hit him in the rear leg on the back side when I had aimed right behind the front shoulder.   Those 3, wide, expanding blades made quite a mess on the way diagonally thru his body, destroying both lungs, making a mess of the guts, and costing me a fair amount of meat thru the ham on the way out.  He fell over dead in sight, after a 30 or 40 yard walk.  

Maybe the 2 bladed rage would destroy less meat, but after that one with a 3-blade mechanical last year, I am going with fixed Muzzy 125's this year.  They hit right where my field points do, up to 40 yards.  I will keep my last 3 bladed mechanical in the quiver, just in case a 40-50 yard shot is offered.  When it is gone, I will likely stick with the fixed Muzzy's.  They always did well with my vertical bow.         

I had great luck with the G5 Montecs when using them for the first time last week.  Shot a spike horn in the morning last Friday, skinned it, quartered it, cleaned the arrow and sharpened the broadhead and killed a doe with the same arrow/broadhead from the same stand before dark that afternoon.  Cleaned and sharpened the broadhead again and you cannot tell the difference between it and my other arrows.  Both deer died within 10 seconds and within sight of my stand. 

Oh, and I used evercalm around the stand for what it's worth.  Had deer come in from all directions and even had a deer hanging around the gutpile from the buck and they didn't seem to care.

22 hours ago, adkhunter71 said:

I had great luck with the G5 Montecs when using them for the first time last week.  Shot a spike horn in the morning last Friday, skinned it, quartered it, cleaned the arrow and sharpened the broadhead and killed a doe with the same arrow/broadhead from the same stand before dark that afternoon.  Cleaned and sharpened the broadhead again and you cannot tell the difference between it and my other arrows.  Both deer died within 10 seconds and within sight of my stand. 

Oh, and I used evercalm around the stand for what it's worth.  Had deer come in from all directions and even had a deer hanging around the gutpile from the buck and they didn't seem to care.

That's partly why I really wanted to use these things. I was satisfied with their impact enough that I put them on my bow a week back (but weather precluded hunting, so bow season is done for me), but the testing I had time to do didn't make me happy with them on the xbow. Tough heads, sharp, you know 100% that if they are dialed on during testing they will be in the field; no opening issues, no difference between live and test broadhead, etc. 

Although one reason I switched to them on bow is because I have terrible penetration with mechanical and that won't be a problem with the xbow. Hits hard enough that a large mechanical will cut very far and in general the more damage the better. I'm okay losing some meat if it helps ensure a short and reliable recovery.